f

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sleeves On Saturdays

Today's sleeve is a twist on a very traditional sleeve, the Petal Sleeve. Since it's a twist, I'm calling this sleeve
The Twisted Petal Sleeve
The idea for this sleeve, believe it or not came to me this past week when I laid down to meditate for a bit. Yes, I'm one of those people!! Actually, I find it really helps to keep me calm. Just as I closed my eyes, the idea for this sleeve popped into my head and I thought it was rather fun. You're only getting the sleeve today. You'll have to come back by on Tuesday to see the entire blouse and what collar I have done to go with it.
As you can see, the sleeve is exactly like a petal sleeve. All I have done is lengthen the underarm area so that it becomes a strap that will wrap around the arm.    
To draft this sleeve, begin with the basic sleeve pattern. Remember, we are using Butterick 5678 as our base pattern, but any basic sleeve will work.
 Measure down 1" on the underarm seam and draw a horizontal line.
Notice on the sleeve head of this pattern that there are dots on either side of the center notch. We will use these dots as the starting point for the petal shape of the sleeve. Draw in the petal shape and have the lines intersect in the middle. Notice that my lines come down just below the line I drew in that is 1" below the armpit. The extra curve of the line is 3/8" below the 1" line.
 Extend the lines out from the armpit. In order to determine how long this area should be, measure around your arm from the armpit to the center of your arm at the bicep. Be sure to add for the button extension. I added 2" as I wanted to have 2 buttons on my band.
 Trace off the front and back of the sleeve.
The final patterns. I placed notches where the dots had been so I would know where the opposite edge of the petal should be placed. I have the original notches of the sleeve indicating the front and back. I also added a notch where the original underarm seam would have been. This way I will know where to clip the band when sewing.
It's a little difficult to see in the picture below, but the underarm notch is clipped and the underarm notches on both sides will just meet in the center of the underarm seam.
This treatment to the sleeve gives the look of a cuff without an actual cuff being added. It also gives a nice little peek-a-boo interest to the sleeve 
So, come back on Tuesday to see the entire blouse!
Hope you're having a lovely weekend.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

33 comments:

  1. Truly fabulous! I can't wait to see the finished blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that! Can't wait to see the whole blouse. You are so imaginative and talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable. I can't wait, those are gorgeous with that summery print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be truly fabulous. I already love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Love your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is super cool... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible! You are the most talented designer I ever saw! I need to add this manga to a project, love, love it! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome and such a great sleeve detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun sleeve, Rhonda! Pretty fabric as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so COOL! Whenever I try to meditate I usually think about housework that needs to be done. You rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always amazed at how creative and talented you are, this sleeve is such a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful. I have got to try this. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I would have taken a lot longer to figure this out.
    Thanks for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Esta genial ,creo que me la voy a copiar
    gracias

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it, this design is wonderful!!!!, I liked very much, thank you very much for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the sleeve! Really like the peakaboo aspect and I bet the patterned fabric contrasts wonderfully with skin tone :)

    Tonisewsclothes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the tutorial, love the sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much Rhonda. It's not easy to find this pattern, I am so happy to discover your blog.
    Thank you again and happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so luvly, thanks dear for Sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was looking for the blouse that this sleeve went with and I can't find it....can you point me to it. Thanks. You are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to the tutorial for the blouse,
      http://www.sewnews.com/blogs/sewing/2013/05/28/rhonda-buss-the-raised-collar-neckline-tutorial/
      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  21. I am very late to this party, but I just finished a Granville shirt with this sleeve and I love it. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the sleeve patterns, you are never late
      to the party. They are meant to be there for inspiration whenever you are ready. So glad you like your shirt. Send a picture if you have a chance. I would love to see it.

      Delete
    2. Such a clever sleeve. Beautiful.

      Delete
    3. such a beautiful and wonderful twist to that sleeve,can't wait to try it

      Delete
  22. Hi..
    It's very nice design... Thank you for share with as.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh its very nice. thanks😁👍👍

    ReplyDelete