f

Friday, May 3, 2013

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

Today's addition to Fabulous Free Pattern Friday is a very simple skirt. It's actually just a simple straight skirt  with godets added to the side seams. The twist here is that the godets are not the typical triangle, but they are rectangles. My skirt is made from a knit fabric, but the godets can be added to a skirt made from a woven fabric.  I'm calling this skirt;
Taking Flight Skirt
The godets give me the impression of wings!
If you are making your skirt from a knit, follow these instructions.
You will need your hip measurement and the desired length of your skirt. To the length measurement, you will need to add for the hem allowance and an allowance for the elastic waist. I used a 1 1/2" wide elastic and I have a 1" hem in my skirt. So if your desired finished length is 28", you will need to add 1" for the hem and 3" for the elastic waistband(double the width of your elastic). The final length measurement will be 32". If your hips are 40", you will need to add seam allowance. I used 1/2" seam allowances, so the final hip measurement will be 42". Cut a rectangle that is 42" wide by 32" long.
What I like to do with my knit skirts is reduce the bulk around the waist. To do this, I try the skirt on and pin it in at the waist. In the picture below, you can see the chalk line that I drew in for the new waist seam. Sew along that line and trim away the excess.
Since I have 2 side seams and no seams at the center front or center back, I need to find the center between the side seams. Just fold the skirt in half and place pins at the center front and center back.
 For the elastic, I like to take my elastic and put it around my waist and pull it so that it is comfortable, not tight, but comfortable. Be sure to leave a little extra for the seam before you cut the elastic. Divide the elastic into 4 equal parts and mark with pins as you see below.
Now, match the elastic to the skirt at the waist.
If you do not have a serger, you can use the zigzag stitch on your sewing machine to attach the elastic to the skirt. Whether you are using a serger or a zigzag stitch, attach the elastic to the edge of the skirt pulling the elastic as you sew to match it to the skirt.  
The elastic is now attached to the skirt.
Turn the elastic over to the inside of the skirt. Once again, you will need to pull the elastic as you sew. For this I like to use the zigzag stitch on my machine. In order to have a straight line, I line up the inside edge of my foot with the edge of the serging.
 The waistband is finished and the elastic will stay in place whenever you wear it.
Now for the hem of the skirt. You will need to cut 2 rectangles 20" long by 10" wide. This measurement includes the hem allowance. In the picture below you can see the shape of the godets. The skirt is laying flat with side seams on either side in the picture below.
In this picture below, the side seam is facing up and you can see the rectangular godet. To sew the godets into the skirt, simple open up the side seam from the hem and sew in the godets.
 Now for the hem. Because there are corners, I thought I would quickly show you how I miter the corners.
 First I mark my hem with chalk at the corners.
 Fold up the hem and you will have a point of fabric at the corner.
Lay that point of fabric flat as you see below and mark to the point of the corner.
 Sew on that line.
 Trim away the excess of fabric.
 Turn the fabric and you will have a beautifully mitered corner.
 Hem the skirt and you are finished!
 A view from the side.
And finally me in the skirt. This post counts for my Me Made May posting as well as the FFPF post today. Nothing like getting 2 things done at once!!
The jacket I am wearing is another Fabulous Free Pattern Friday piece. I blogged about it here. It's the Paper Bag Jacket. You really can't see the top I'm wearing. I have not blogged about it, but I will. It's a twisty knida thing!!
It's hard to believe that just a few weeks ago, the water would have been over my head. Incredible.
Hope you have all had a wonderful Friday.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

15 comments:

  1. So stylish, and it looks comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a simple,fun skirt which looks great on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, this is genius. Thank you! I have added your blog to my feed and am looking forward to more fin posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how beautiful. You amaze me Rhonda, really you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Fabulous skirt and lots of 'top tips'! Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda, I love godets, so I guess I'll be copying your skirt one day - I hope you don't mind! A simple knit looks stunning done in this fashion, cosy and comfy, but still elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those godets! Certainly much, much easier than the usual triangles. Must see where I can fit those in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic tips for mitered corners and elastic waist - I've pinned them both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those mitred corners! Actually, love the whole outfit - lovely colour on you...J

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so easy and elegant. I love interesting hems and this looks not only elegant but practical. I have a beautiful plaid silk/cotton voile that would be perfect for summer in this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was messing around with a godet to insert in the back of a knit pencil skirt instead the usual kick pleat. I'm going to try a square made from a non-stretch coordinating lace. Tnx for another great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will work like a charm. Let me know how it works out.

      Delete
  13. I just pictured this with two tiers of godets, one slightly longer than the other. There may be a dress with some color blocking based on this in the ether...

    ReplyDelete