f

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sunday's Soup

Maybe it's because the Super Bowl is in New Orleans today, or maybe it's because it's been so cold and I'm just missing my roots a bit, but I just had to make a pot of gumbo today. I have eaten gumbo my entire life. My grandmother could make the blackest roux without burning it. I have tried and tried to get mine as black but to no avail. Gumbo is as unique to the cook as their finger print. You will never taste two that taste exactly the same. 
Roux can be a tricky thing to make. It takes time. I found this wonderful product that allows you to side step the roux making process and get right to putting the gumbo together. It's called Kary's Roux. Here is a link to the company's website,  http://karysroux.com/index.html. There you can find some recipes and a little information about the company as well as contact information. I found this website where you can order the roux,  http://www.virtualcajun.com/Roux-Kary_s_Roux.html along with many other Cajun inspired products.
The roux is actually made in Louisiana, not an import!! My husband loves this stuff as once I found it, I began to make gumbo a little more often.
If you would like to give this shortcut method a try, I am more than happy to share my recipe. I do not follow the recipe on the  bottle.

1/2 jar of Kary's Roux, 16 oz size You will need to stir the roux when you open it as the oil separates from the flour.
2 28oz. cans of fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
2 medium size onions chopped
2 green bell peppers chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 large cube of Knorr Vegetable bouillon 
8 cups of water(you may also use chicken broth, omit knorr seasoning if you do)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 pounds of fresh shrimp
1 pound of oysters, omit if you don't like oysters
1 pint container of premium crab claw meat
king crab legs(I usually buy 4) I would rather have the blue crabs from the Gulf coast, but they are a little hard to come by here in Chicago
1 bunch of green onions
1 16 oz. bag of chopped okra or fresh if it is in season
1 teaspoon of vinegar
1 cup of chopped parsley
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes or to taste
salt and black pepper to taste
Gumbo File

Begin by heating oil in pot and adding onions and green peppers. Saute until onions are tender. Add garlic. Saute just long enough to begin to release the flavour of the garlic. Add Kary's Roux and immediately add the 2 cans of tomatoes. Also add 12 teaspoon of sugar. This will cut any acidic taste that the tomatoes might have. Stir well. Add water(or chicken broth) and stir well. Add bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour. Mid way through cooking time, add okra. Right after you add the okra, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar. This will keep the okra from getting slimy. The soup will have a dark rich look.
Once the soup has simmered for about an hour, increase heat and add seafood. The seafood will be cooked when the shrimp turn pink.
At this point you will add the gumbo file. I use a lot, about a tablespoon. Season the gumbo with salt, black pepper and gumbo file to your taste.  
 While the gumbo is cooking, cook a pot of rice and chop your green onions. 
Place a mound of rice in the center of your bowl. Dish up the gumbo. Garnish with green onions, serve and enjoy every rich and wonderful bite!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Come on over! I have plenty. The dogs are welcome too ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, just reading all the ingredients has me wanting that soup and to think I just had dinner. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gumbo looks marvelous. I made a big pot of turkey gumbo just last weekend. I now make my roux in the oven. Oil and flour go into a big heavy pot, get stirred, the cover goes on and it all goes in a 350º oven for one hour. It comes out perfectly. I sure wish I had a jar of that roux and I think I will send away for some. Thanks for the link. We did jambalaya tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aunt made roux in the oven and loved the results. Would you mind sending me your recipe? sewbussted@yahoo.com

      Delete
  4. OMG, it looks so delicious. I'm gonna use this recipe before the month is out. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Heaven on 7's gumbo and thought nothing could top it...this looks better. Thanks for the recipie.

    Former Chicagoan now in warmer (MUCH warmer) San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to San Diego, but I hear that it is like heaven on earth. Lucky you!
    Everyone who makes gumbo thinks their version is the best, but I would never think mine is better than a very celebrated version. Thanks for the compliment. If you give it a try, I hope it measures up!!

    ReplyDelete