f

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sleeves On Saturdays

Don't worry, you are not hallucinating!!! I did today's sleeve out of a stripe fabric to show you what happens with the fabric when you do this sleeve. Wild, right!!
The top portion of the sleeve has horizontal stripes just like the top, but as the stripes move down the sleeve, they begin to go in circles and then begin to return to horizontal near the wrist. Forgive me, but this deserves a "cool dude!"
I'm calling this sleeve,
The Psychedelic Circle Sleeve
To do this sleeve, begin with your basic sleeve pattern.
 Divide the sleeve into 2" sections ending in the middle of the cap.
 Be sure to number each section.
Cut up the middle of the sleeve and then to the side of the sleeve in each section. I did a 2" spread between each section. My fabric is very lightweight. If you are using a fabric that is a little heavier, spread 1 1/2" between each section.

The final pattern. As you can see, the grain line remains the same.
Add seam allowance to the new seam line. Once the seam has been gathered, sew twill tape on the seam line in order to secure the gathering.
I'm spinning!!!

Enjoy! Have a wonderful weekend.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

24 comments:

  1. You are just brilliant! How fun is this?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the perfect black and white striped knit and I may have to try this! Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting sleeve. I must try it. The technique you used on the bottom of your skirt in your last post is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful! Crazy sleeves, I need you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Spirals, Rhonda! What a cool dude idea for sure! This could work for other areas too and worn to ward off evil spirits and cranky clients!Thanks for sharing your secret to making a "tripy" sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beyond awesome. I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you simply NEVER cease to amaze us!

    Happy weekend,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. I love this one too. You are such an inspiration. I want to try all your ideas I guess I will have to quit work and play/sew!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving this!!! You are on fire, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're saving a couple of sleeve ideas for the ASDP Threads challenge! You go, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got a slew of stripey knits for tops, and I am loving your creation here! I am SO stealing this one, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO clever and that skirt yesterday! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is awesome ...cool dude indeed. I would love to try this :)
    What pattern did you use for the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann. The pattern is my basic t-shirt pattern. I would recommend a knit, but it is not necessary.
      Let me know if you give it a try.

      Delete
  14. Rhonda you are so clever. The striped sleeve is amazing.....very different and smart!!!!
    I admire the way you think up all these clever pattern drafting ideas.

    Cathy ( New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Curiouser and curiouser! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guess what I'll be making next?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rhonda, You are the best. The minute I saw the striped swirls, I thought of Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. Best use of stripe fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rhonda

    Have just found your blog via Threads Magazine and I loooove the sleeve! My own blog has some design and pattern related posts connected to the workshops I run here in Sydney. http://studiofaro-wellsuited.blogspot.com.au/

    Looking forward to more posts from you!
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are amazing. I've been getting bored of striped jersey, but this might tempt me to get some more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ur so talented may god bless u with good health n long life ....

    ReplyDelete