f

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Upline Sew Along Week 2/All About The Pockets

Week 2 of the Sewn Square One Sew Along is up on the Sew News blog and you can find it HERE.
This week, I cover a few aspects about the pattern, but the post is primarily about the pockets.
Take a look at the jacket from the pattern cover. Due to the nature of the design, the pocket is quite shallow. You might have also noticed that the jacket in the pattern photo looks shorter than mine. It is.
The pattern instructs you to hem the jacket. We will go over this in more detail once we are finishing up the jacket, but I did not put a traditional hem in my jacket. With the jacket turned inside out, I sewed a seam along the bottom of the jacket and then turned it right side out. So there is only a seam allowance at the hem of my jacket.
As I said, this week's post is primarily about sewing in the pockets. It's really quite a lovely design, with the curved princess line seam. 
If you are new to sewing, and even if you aren't, you may find pockets a little daunting. Just take the process step by step and you'll have a lovely pocket.
The pocket patterns are quite shallow for this jacket, even the longer versions. In the instructions, I show you how I made a longer pocket. Since I am making the longer version of the coat, there's plenty of room for a nice roomy pocket. 
My finished pocket.
I'm getting very excited about my coat. It's coming together beautifully. It will have a very different look from the one that I made for the magazine article. Rather than rugged and everyday, it will be soft and feminine. Fun!
If you haven't purchased a pattern, but would like to get in on the fun, you can find the pattern HERE on the Sew News website.
Be sure to check out the Sewn Square One website for other patterns and info. 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. In the sew along you mention underlining with a good quality batiste, would you provide some sources as to where to get a better quality batiste? I would like to under line mine but want to make sure I use good fabric. Thank you so much for your hints and for the changes you make, they do give a lot of inspiration
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into some reliable sources for cotton batiste and get back to you.

      Delete
  2. I am going to make this jacket in lightweight brocade. Would you underline that in batiste or silk organza? I tend to use silk organza the most, but would like your feedback on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either will be fine. It's really a personal preference. I have always liked cotton batiste for most things. Depending on the fabric, I may use a silk underlining. With brocade, you can go either way. Since you are accustomed to working with silk organza, why don't you go ahead with it.

      Delete