f

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Sunday's Soup/Carrot and Fennel Soup With Black Olive Oil

Since I started posting soups on Sundays, we've had a lot of soups with carrots included in the ingredient list, but only 2 where carrots where the main ingredient, 
All of my life I have been told that carrots are good for your eyes, and believe me, I've eaten a ton. Carrots are one of my favorite afternoon snacks. My husband is forever finding the ends of carrots in the oddest places, and he always knows who left it :) 
I recently came across THIS carrot soup recipe from Sweet Paul Magazine. The addition of fennel and the black olive oil peaked my interest, so I decided to give it a try. As the soup was cooking, my husband came downstairs and said, "whatever it is you're cooking, it sure smells good." Well, it tastes as good as it smells. I basically followed the recipe, but made just a few changes which you can see below.
Carrot and Fennel Soup with Black Olive Oil

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large yellow onion, chopped

1 large potato, peeled and chopped

1 bulb fennel, chopped

5 carrots, peeled and chopped(I used 5 very large carrots)

4 cups chicken stock(I used vegetable stock)

1⁄2 cup heavy cream(I used 1 cup of coconut milk)

salt & pepper, to taste

As for the instructions, I sauteed my onions in the oil until they were tender. I then added the vegetables and the vegetable stock and cooked the vegetables in the stock until tender, about 30 minutes. Once the vegetables were tender, I used an immersible hand held blender to puree the soup. I then added the coconut milk. 

I bought really good black olives that I pitted and then placed in a small blender. I then added olive oil until I had the consistency that I desired.  
This is a soup that you can serve to the most discriminating foodie. The addition of the fennel gives the soup a rich, full bodied taste and the black olive oil laced on top makes for such a lovely soup experience. I think this is my new favorite soup! 
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. This will be on the menu this week for sure. Thanks for posting these wonderful recipes. They are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thankfully, I have enough for a second meal!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know you're headed into summer, so you may not be in the mood for soup. But it's fairly light, so it might be a nice transition soup.

      Delete
  3. I don't see olives in the ingredient list. Did you use kalamatas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I was able to get some great olives from my market. Had to put them, but worth it. Maybe check the original recipe and see if they included the olives in the list. Maybe they didn't.

      Delete
    2. That should have been pit them :)

      Delete
  4. Roasted fennel is one of my favorite things ever, so I am definitely going to try this one - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just had this tonight and it was fantastic! We left the olives at more of a tapenade consistency. Even my 15 year old loved it!

    ReplyDelete