f

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Eating For Your Future/Roasted Cauliflower Wraps

Have you ever found a restaurant that had a dish that you fell in love with, only to find one day that they have unexpectedly closed?
We had a wonderful Middle-Eastern restaurant near our home that made what they called a cauliflower sandwich, which I could eat every day of the week. They made their own bread which is similar to a tortilla, flat like a tortilla, but more of a bread consistency. Rolled inside the bread was lettuce, hummus, and fried cauliflower. It was like heaven in my hand!
I waited for months, hoping that the restaurant might reopen as mysteriously as it closed. No such luck. A new restaurant has opened in the space, but no cauliflower sandwich. ARGH!!!! Desire can be the mother of invention, so I decided to make my own. Rather than fry the cauliflower, I roast it. 

Roasted Cauliflower Wraps

Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower
homemade or purchased hummus
Arugula or greens of your choice
whole grain tortillas
2 tablespoons olive oil
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste

Begin by breaking apart a head of cauliflower into small florets. In a bowl, pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the cauliflower. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt and black pepper over the cauliflower and stir to mix. 
Pour onto a foil lined baking pan and bake at 425 degrees for approximately 35 to 40 minutes. About midway through, turn cauliflower so that it browns evenly. Be sure to allow the cauliflower to get nice and brown.    
Spread hummus on a whole grain tortilla, approximately 2 tablespoons. 
Top the hummus with your choice of greens. I like arugula as it has a rather peppery taste. But a nice romaine lettuce or fresh spinach is also good. 
Top the greens with the grilled cauliflower. 
Roll up and devour!!! 
The roasted cauliflower is as good cold as it is warm, so make some ahead and have it later for lunches. My husband thinks that my version is even better than the restaurant's. I think so too :)
If you give it a try, I hope you like it as much as I do!
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. Roasted cauliflower doesn't last long at my house. I've never thought abut making a sammy from it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds perfect and pack to take on the run. Will be doing a trial run this week since I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks heavenly, I must give it a try. I don't eat meat but my family does so it's always nice to have a quick yummy veggie recipe that they will all enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cauliflower now on today's shopping list!

    ReplyDelete