f

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday's Soup


I love the taste combination of sage and cabbage. In fact, I love the taste of sage so much that I grow a big pot each year, harvest it and dry it so that I have it on hand all winter long. So I decided to do a soup in honor of this obsession and it is simply
Cabbage and Sage Soup 
The ingredients;
1 medium head of cabbage chopped
1 1/2 pounds of red fingerling potatoes sliced in 1" rounds
3 stalks of celery chopped
2 large cloves of garlic
2 bunches of green onions chopped
2 large cubes of Knorr Vegetable Bouillon
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
1 tablespoon of dried sage
1 cup of heavy cream
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
10 cups of water (add 8 cups and then determine how much more will be needed)
shredded asiago cheese for serving
Heat oil in large pot. Add green onions, celery and garlic. Saute on a medium fire for about 5 minutes. Add cabbage, potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook on a low flame until potatoes are tender. Add sage, parsley, salt and pepper and heavy cream. Being careful not to boil, simmer on a low flame for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.   
Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with shredded asiago cheese.
If you would like a non-vegetarian version, you can fry bacon and add to soup or you can also add ham.
Enjoy!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Rhonda, you make the BEST soups! Yummie stuff! I love how you show all the steps in photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! Must give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew loved it and said that the only problem, was that he had to scrape the cheese off the spoon with his teeth!!! He said it was too good to leave any behind:)

      Delete
  3. Mr RTS absolutely loves sage, but there are very few recipes that seem to use it. This sounds fabulous and has been printed in readiness for the next time I'm in the mood to make soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one who loves sage :) My great grandmother would add sage to her sausage. I can still smell it cooking. Hope your husband enjoys the soup!

      Delete
  4. Yum! Must make this tomorrow night! My kind of soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it. Be careful with the water that you initially add as you will also add the cream, so you don't want the liquid to be too thin.

      Delete
  5. That looks so tasty I must pick my sage and dry it too, very nice soup!

    ReplyDelete