f

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pillowcases For Mary Bridge

To my great surprise, not long after I posted that I would like to start a drive for 900 pillowcases for The Mary Bridge Children's Hospital, I received a message from someone on the staff thanking me for my efforts. And guess what. our little project is on their Facebook page!! If you are on Facebook, just go to their page and you will find the post dated March 13th.
I have been even more inspired and amazed by all of you who have offered to help. Yesterday, I received two packages, one from Linda and another from Meegan. Both packages contained 10 pillowcases.
They are really beginning to pile up!!
Please forgive me ladies if I have confused the two of you, but I believe the pillowcase that is pictured above and below was made by Meegan. What a cute pillowcase. On one side she used a dinosaur fabric and on the other side robots. So great. 
Below are cases that both Linda and Meegan did. I love the whimsy that they used in putting these together.
Thank you so much Linda and Meegan for your time, effort and creativity. If nothing more, you have truly touched my heart, but I know that your efforts will appreciated by many.
At this point, a number of you have pledged cases. I even have a pledge from Spain!! A lady here in Chicago is donating fabric and another lady who recently opened a sewing studio has offered her studio for a day of making pillowcases!!
If you would like to get in on the fun, it is not too late!! Even if you can only make one pillowcase, it will be greatly appreciated. Just email me at sewbussted@yahoo.com and let me know if you would like to participate. In upcoming posts, I will start giving you a count as to where we stand in our journey toward 900 pillowcases. Here is a link to the pattern, http://siterepository.s3.amazonaws.com/00569201012271239106026.pdf, and here's a link to the original post, http://www.rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2013/03/pay-it-forward-can-you-help.html
To those of you who have pledged to help, thank you for helping me make this happen. There is truly strength in numbers.




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

12 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda, so glad the package arrived safely! You are correct; Meegan must have made the one you credited to her as that fabric was not from me. I enjoyed making them, and I have no doubt that the 900 total will met. If I can sew more, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe that both your packages arrived at the same time! Thanks again for all the Work you did to create the pillowcases. They are just precious.

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I participated in a similar project in 2009 when the ASG convention was here in Albuquerque. It was a lot of fun. I have been reluctant to commit to your project, because I have a couple other sewing projects I'm working on for the Fiber Arts Fiesta (a fundraiser) and our local ASG's sewing project for needy first graders. I do love what you're doing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy! No need to commit, but if you find you have time for a few, that would be great as well. Have you posted anything about the Project for the Fiber Arts Fiesta? It sounds interesting. I've missed a little of my blog reading lately, but I'll be sitting still this weekend so if you did post something I should find it then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are the pillowcases supposed to be made with that pattern? If I do this, I would use my method of one piece of fabric that almost makes itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, you are welcome to use any pattern that you like. I provided this one as a guide. Your pattern sounds wonderful. Would you mind sharing it?

      Delete
    2. This is a pictorial tutorial that uses one yard of cotton fabric for each standard size pillowcase:
      https://picasaweb.google.com/116516756915428519533/StandardSizePillowcase?authuser=0&feat=directlink

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mary. I will add this to the instructions and then everyone can choose the method they would like to use. This is a wonderfully detailed tutorial.

      Delete
  5. This sounds wonderful, I'm happy and of course I'm going ahead with the project ... just a question ... Are there a deadline for this??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially said June 1st, but the woman who has the sewing studio will not be able to host a sewing day until July, so I have extended the deadline to August 1st. Thanks so much Rosy!!

      Delete
  6. These are all so pretty. Are they being made in flannels or just broadcloth, cotton, etc?

    ReplyDelete