f

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Coming Into October/The 1 Year Challenge

A somewhat funny story...

I have been in the mountains of Colorado for the month of October. I always love being here. But, it has been quite troublesome as the forest fires have been devastating. A few nights ago, we could see the flames along the horizon as they licked the sky. Due to the direction of the wind, we felt we were safe, but we also felt it prudent to prepare to evacuate. I packed my laptop, but you most likely won't guess what I packed next. I packed every pair of shoes I have with me!!! My thought was that my shoe collection has been one that has come about over many years. I can make new clothes, but replacing my shoes would be virtually impossible. There's more to my shoe story that I will share in my next 1 year challenge post. There is a story behind the story. Kind of sad, but the now is what matters :)

        ______________________________________________

Starting with September 25th, I wore a favorite, my Robson Trench that I made for a Sew News article and sew along. The fabric for the trench is actually a home dec fabric. One thing I know, maybe all too well ;), is to never bypass the home dec area. There are treasures to be had!!! Since it was one of those days where I needed a jacket to begin the day, but the latter part of the day would be warm, I wore a top that I did for a Sleeves on Saturdays post, and the black pants I made using a free Martha Stewart pajama pant pattern.


This orange tie-dye dress is another that I made for a Sew News sew along. I so love this pattern. It's the Fashion In Harmony Magic Bias Dress. I think that most of us stray away from bias garments as they can tend to be difficult to cut, wear, etc. But, the way that this dress is cut makes it fairly fail proof. I have 3 in my wardrobe and I love them all. 



It seems that I get into a kind of a rut with colors. I wear a color one day, and then again the next day. The skirt I'm wearing is another Fashion In Harmony pattern, the Lantern Skirt. Super easy to make. It's basically 2 circles, with a drawstring waist. It's kind of an artsy skirt, so it's fun to wear. The fabric that I used for the outfit is a reversible linen gauze. Such a great fabric. I used the opposite side for the top, and I used the free Chelsea Linen Raglan Top from Fabrics-Store.Com 



You've seen this dress earlier in the summer. It was a free pattern from Marilla Walker. Sadly, it's no longer available. I had a little fun with the dress by pairing it with a pair of tights that are black on 1 side, and cream on the other. It's always good to have a little fun with your clothes :)



Another repeat. I do love my cargo pants! Great for year round wear. It was a cool day, so I paired the pants with a jacket that was a gift. The top is the Molly Tee from Pattern Union. I must have a ton in my wardrobe by now. I used an out of print Simplicity pattern for the pants, Simplicity 5102. It is available on Etsy and Ebay, but cargo pants are nothing more than pockets, so just use your favorite pant pattern and have fun with lots of pockets.


The top I'm wearing is a favorite as I love the neckline. It's Simplicity 9017. So very easy to make. Has a little bit of an asymmetrical aspect to the side seam. I paired it with a basic knit skirt that I self-drafted.


We're finally up to October! 
The jacket I'm wearing is one that I made a number of years ago, and for the life of me, I have no idea what pattern I used. I paired it with a white Molly Tee and the black Martha Stewart pajama pants that you saw earlier in this post. I do love these pants! 


The fabric was pre-quilted. To finish the seams, I used a red bias tape. Really makes the jacket look special when I take it off.


I do love my shoes!!! Whenever I see something that I think will be fun, I try and buy it. These shoes came from Payless, and I think I paid about $10.00 for them. Hey, I love them and that's all that counts!!! Again, it's all about having fun with your wardrobe :) 


This is a second make of the Ellie and Mac Off Shoulder Romper pattern. I absolutely LOVE this pattern. so very comfortable, truly athliesure at its best!


Another favorite is the Yuki Dress from Tessuti Patterns. Easy to make, easy to wear. It's a pattern that would easily translate to a tunic. I paired mine with a lightweight wool tee. Another favorite tee is the  Londa's Terrific 'T' from Londa's Creative Sewing. 



I don't wear this skirt very often, only in the fall. With the falling leaves, it is a fall skirt :) I used a free pattern to create the skirt, but it's another that is no longer available. There is a free swirl skirt available from Lekala, and you can find it HERE. I have not made it yet, but plan to.  



October 6, 2020, at least I am in the same month now!!!
I absolutely love the pants I am wearing. Sadly, the pattern is not available. I sweet friend of mine is working on her masters degree. She wanted a pant to wear to school that felt like pajama pants, but didn't look like pajama pants. She was so inspired by the movie Black Panther. When I went over to visit with her, she had the movie bookmarked so she could show me things that had inspired her. I love how she designed the pant. It basically wings out, and then comes around the knee and is caught in the inseam. Such a cute, fun pant to wear.   



So that's it for my little dog and pony show today. If nothing more, I hope that I inspire you to wear your wardrobe, and too, to have fun with it. We spend so much time putting together our makes, why should we allow them to languish in the closet?

Rhonda 




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. What black fabric did you use for the Martha Stewart pants? Thank you. I love how versatile that pattern is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger. I used a summer weight wool pique for the black pants. I can wash them on a delicate cycle and then hand to dry. If you do decided to used a lightweight wool, just be sure to pre-wash it before cutting.

      Delete
  2. The pattern for the plaid jacket is Vogue 8483, loved your version since I first saw it. Took me a long time to find the pattern in my size but it is now in my sewing queue siting on top of the perfect fabric. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly! Once I looked up the pattern, I completely remembered it. I am going to pass it along so others will know as well. Thanks again!!!

      Delete
  3. I can understand you wanting to protect the shoe collection! I’m sure I would do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki :) I so enjoy my shoes, and I would hate to loose them. But, if they were lost, I guess I just have to look at it this way, an opportunity to have a whole new collection ;)

      Delete