f

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Feeling Beautiful Each and Every Day

Whenever we set a challenge, I think it's important to give ourselves a little leeway. After all, we aren't perfect, and then there's life. All in all, my 1 Year Challenge is going well, but I have missed 2 days. I was a little disappointed, but in the overall scope of things, this is hardly a problem. I think the most important thing is to just keep going.

Wow, how things can change in a month. I wore this outfit on August 12th. It was a super warm period in Chicago. A month later, we're having a high of 63 degrees. I actually bought the fabric for the skirt at Walmart!!! It came with the print laid out for a circular skirt. All I had to do was figure out the mathematics for the circumference of the waist. I've had this skirt for years,and I take very good care of it as I love it!  



The following day was a flight day. I made this outfit last summer. The top is the Chelsea Raglan Tee from fabrics-store.com The pants are the free pajama pant pattern from Martha Stewart. Just a nice, basic pant pattern.


I flew to Lexington, Kentucky that day. This was just before leaving and coming back to Chicago.


I absolutely love this t-shirt. You've seen it before. I had scraps of both the solid blue and the ruffles. Thought I could get a tee, and it all worked out. I used the Molly Tee from Pattern Union


Be sure to watch the video to the end. You'll see just how human I really am ;)


Because I love a rectangle, I wanted to give the Envelope Dress from Chris Wood a try. Super, super easy piece to do. Just 3 rectangles. It's not an actual pattern, but instructions on how to draft it out. As I said, super easy.



This little dress is STILL puzzling me. I was looking for fabric to make the Envelope Dress, and thought this would be so cute since it has a border. Pulled it out to find that I had already cut it. I have absolutely no memory of cutting it, and I have no idea what pattern I used to cut it. So, all I had was a front and a back, but I decided to make it work. Added some darts, made shoulder straps. and called it a day. So happy I found it as I really love the dress now that it's made up.



This dress has a fun story. I had gone to a luncheon. A woman 
came up to me and told me how much she liked my dress, and then asked, "who are you wearing?" I replied that it was my dress. She then said, "Oh Rhonda, I know the dress belongs to you, but who is the designer?" I replied, "Me!" She was shocked to say the least. Best compliment ever!!!

 


Another flight day. When there's a jet on the tarmac, I just HAVE to have my picture taken :) Hey, a girl can dream! I'm wearing a top that I made for my Sleeves On Saturdays series, the Square Shoulder Sleeve. I so love this sleeve in a stripe. The pants are another pair made from the free Martha Stewart pajama pant pattern.  



I made this dress back in April and I absolutely love it. It's Vogue 9112, a Marcy Tilton pattern. So perfect for a hot day. A little shorter than I typically like. I'll just lengthen it a bit next time around :) 



Another flight day, and it was cool for a change. In the video you'll see that I am wearing one of my most coveted garments, a jacket that was a gift. I'm wearing a pair of pants made from Simplicity 9017. It's just a great, basic pant pattern, and works beautifully with ponte. I paired it with a long sleeve Molly tee from Pattern Union.



I think that just about everyone who sews has made this Donna Karan Vogue pattern, Vogue 1250. It's out of print. For the life of me, I don't know why because it's just such a great pattern. One that's truly a classic.



We're finally up to August 22nd. I've had both of these pieces for quite some time. I was in a grocery store in Houston, my favorite, Central Market. I had just walked in, and was looking around the produce section when a man came up to me and said, "You are absolutely beautiful!" I stood there rather shocked. He then said that he just had to tell me, wished me a great day, and walked off. I thought, "Wow!!!, I think I need to wear this outfit EVERYDAY!!!" Truly made my day :)
The skirt is nothing more than a rectangle. I will do a tutorial on it soon. I just purchased a tool that will make doing tutorials so much easier. If all goes as planned, once I get it, watch out!!! ;)
    

So, that's it for the dog and pony show today. 
A number of you have sent notes telling me that I have inspired you to not only start enjoying your wardrobes, but I've also inspired you to do a little more sewing. Oh my goodness, that makes me so very happy. Life is so short, much too short to not celebrate each and everyday. By all means, wear your lovely makes, and allow yourself to feel beautiful each and everyday :)
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. You make me smile every time I read your blog and yes you are a hoot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenna. I think you are referring to that surprise shimmy ;) I surprised myself!!!

      Delete
  2. I have enjoyed your fashion show! Your outfits are amazing I couldn't even pick a favorite I love them all, and the shoes, WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! I have been surprised by how much everyone seems to enjoy my shoe collection. I see them as a nice little bit of frosting on an outfit :)

      Delete
  3. Just want to thank you for continuing to blog. You are an inspiration and I always feel like I just ran into a sewing friend when I read your updates. Thanks again and good health to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I went through a period where I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue blogging. But, so many lovely people like you have sent notes telling me how much they enjoy and look forward to my posts. My break was good, but I'm ready to return. Thank you so much for your note, and for including me in your day :)

      Delete
  4. I just discovered your blog and I’m loving it. I haven’t sewn in years but have been considering getting out my machine and starting some home decor projects. Then I discover you and think “hmmm, I wonder if I could do that?” My machine needs an overhaul and I just may do that sooner than later. Thanks so much for the fashion show. It was absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stefanie...by all means, yes!!!! You can do it!!! Start with something simple, gain a little confidence, and then move on from there. I am so honored to know that I could be a small spark of inspiration :)

      Delete
  5. Impressive and Fabulous garments! You are amazing! .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. Just remember, many of these garments have been in my wardrobe for years! But, a little something that has happened over the last few months is a great appreciation for my wardrobe. I'm finding it to be quite interesting all that I am learning, and all that I am feeling. This little journey is turning out to be quite the gift to me.

      Delete