f

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

The Magic Rectangle Dress

Magic: 
The art of producing an illusion

There is no real magic in the Magic Rectangle Dress, but, it does give the illusion that it's much more than it is!!! In reality, it's just 2 long rectangles. There are no shoulder seams, just a seam down the front, and a seam down the back leaving an opening for the head. And then of course, side seams.


Much of my day was spent in old clothes. I am in the final stage of  getting my friend's house ready to turn over to the new owner. It has been quite the journey. More on that in another post :) After a day of hard work, I was rewarded with an evening out for dinner. And, as I've said, I am celebrating everything! If it's dinner out, I am dressing for the occasion!!! So, I pulled out this dress that I made 7 YEARS AGO!!! 

I so love this dress. I used a piece of vintage fabric that I had for years. I think it's from the 1940s. The fabric is so soft, and feels so good against the skin. The only issue is that it wrinkles easily, but hey, we can't have everything ;)

The "magic" of the dress lies in the gathered detail. The gathering gives shape over the bust, and that's what makes the dress look like so much more than it is.  


If you think that you would like to give this little idea a try, you can find my original post HERE. This is a piece that's great for summer, and will also work well in the winter in maybe a wool challis with a turtleneck. Hmmm, I think I will be making another ;)

If you give the dress a try, be sure to let me know! Just send me an email :)
Have a wonderful day! I hope a little magic comes your way :)
 Rhonda


   
 




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this link. There are many rectangle dresses in the world that live in the fabulous free pattern land. Yohji Yamamoto had a gathered up the front seam variation that I've sewn a couple times - in every case, the fabric makes the dress sing. The gathers are a sweet touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a simple make! I can’t believe I’ve never seen this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete