f

Friday, August 21, 2020

The One Year Challenge Catch Up

A funny story ;)

Mr. Berkley has discovered cicadas. We will be walking along, and the next thing I know, the little guy has 1 in his mouth, and is happily crunching away. He LOVES them! Ick!!! Well, it must not be ick to him. While we were out for our evening walk last night, he managed to grab 2, and this morning, my husband told me that he didn't need his breakfast as he had managed to grab 3 more. Don't worry, he got fed :) As we were walking last night, I told my husband that it must be a boy thing. I've only had female dogs up to this point, and not a 1 ever ate a cicada. I swear they are like candy to Berkley. But, as sweet and wonderful as he is, I will overlook the cicada breath ;)

As I've shared, my 1 year challenge is going well, I have yet to miss a day. I will admit that it can be challenging at times. But, I guess it's not a challenge if it's not challenging!!!

I am not going to do a complete catch up today as the post would go on for far too long. Reminds me of a concert that we attended a while back. There's a guitarist that I absolutely love, Doyle Dikes. By all means, check him out! The concert was coming to a close, and he made a comment about wrapping things up. My husband hollered out, we don't have anywhere to go! With that, Doyle looked up, smiled and said, "I learned the hard way that I can play longer than you can listen!" 

Going all the way back to July 24th...this is a remake of a dress I did a few years ago. I had made the same dress in pink, and I so loved it. Wore the dress when we drove to Detroit to pick up Berkely. The poor little guy was so anxious, crawled all over me, and destroyed the dress. But hey, I can make a new dress!!! This one is actually a bit better as I added side seam pockets. It's the free pattern from Fabrics-store.com, the Chelsea Linen Raglan Tee. Obviously, I lengthened it into a dress, and gave it a shirttail hem.              


 

I didn't make the top I am wearing, but I did do the skirts, and yes it's plural.


Here's a little video that explains it all :)


All out cowgirl ;) I was going through a drawer looking for some fabric when I came across this pair of pants that I had drafted, and partially sewed together. Finishing them was long overdue. Got them done, and I love them!!! 


This is another piece that sat languishing on my sewing table for a few years. I had drafted it out as a Fabulous Free Pattern Friday post to be. Now that it's finished, I will get the post up. So simple to do.  


Once I got the dress together, I felt that it needed a little something, so I added the ties. I love how the ties give the piece a little extra interest, and a little shape through the bust.
 


My lemon pants. Love these pants. I used an old Vogue/Micheal Kors pattern for the pants.  


My tee was a piece that I did for a Free Pattern Friday post. At least, I thought I did. I can't find it! Maybe I should do a repeat. Here I called it the perfect social distancing tee ;) Hey, we may as well laugh than cry. 


We're finally up to July 29th. It looks like a dress, but it's actually 2 pieces, the Molly Tee from Pattern Union.  


The skirt is, at least I think so, this super cute, and sadly an out of print McCall's pattern. I've made 2 skirts from this pattern, and I love them.  


July 30th was a 2 outfit day. I began the day wearing this little wrap skirt. I so love the pattern. It's actually based on a leaf of lettuce. Sadly, the pattern is not available. The designer is in grad school and hopes to get her pattern line back up and running once she's finished.  


That evening I wore this outfit that was inspired by a Maria Pinto piece. I SOOOO love this outfit. It works well with flats and heels alike. We had an opportunity to attend an outdoor concert. It felt so good to actually be listening to lovely music in a concert setting once again.




I have had this dress for years. Sadly, I have yet to find the pattern.It's a fun dress that wraps to the back, and then wraps to the front. The only problem is that if you are caught in a strong wind, you might have a wardrobe malfunction when if the back blows up too high!    




The following day, I was out flying. If you've followed the blog for a while, you may remember this from my Sleeves on Saturdays series. I used the free Plantain Tee from Deer and Doe to create the top. You can find the instructions for drafting the sleeve HERE


I love to at least try and keep Sundays special, so I pull out something that just feels lovely. You may remember this piece from my Fabulous Free Pattern Friday series. It's the Perfect Travel Dress,  just 5 easy rectangles. You can find the instructions to make 1 of your own HERE


Here's a little video to see how the ties work.


So, with a little advice from Doyle Dikes, I will end here. But I'll be back with another post quite soon. Believe it or not, these posts take quite a bit of time to put together. But, it's worth it as I so appreciate all of you who drop by.
Until next time...
Sew On!!!

Rhonda




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

22 comments:

  1. O, Thank you for posting all your lovely outfits! You give me so much inspiration.
    Your Berkeley eating cicadas reminds me: Once we had a cat who loved to eat Japanese beetles. He was a rather feral/only semi-tame beast and I think he loved the hunt for and crunch of the beetles. I think of that cat when I see the wonderful creations fashion wizards create with beetle's carcasses. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that our animals always manage to amaze us :) And isn't it funny how things will remind us of them?!! They all touch us in such a special way.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful way to end the week. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all your inspiration, creativity and positivity. You are a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As I read your message, I couldn't help but smile :)

      Delete
  4. This post was full of smiles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to share these beauties! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I love your posts. Thank you. I don't always comment but i follow you faithfully for yearsnow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...years!!! I have been writing this blog for 11 years. Incredible. Thanks so much for continuing to share your time with me :)

      Delete
  7. Such fabulous outfits. Even more impressive is the taking of a photo everyday! Really appreciate the videos and seeing how the garments move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that the videos would be a nice addition. It really doesn't take all that more time to do them, and it is nice to actually see the clothes on a body that's moving.

      Delete
  8. Your posts are wonderful! So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I had some things happen a couple of years ago that just seemed to zap my creativity, more so the writing aspect. I'm finding it interesting that this little challenge is actually reigniting a little flame in my heart.

      Delete
  10. WOW! Thanks for showcasing your gorgeous garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I'm actually having a great time with this challenge :)

      Delete
  11. Hello, from Catalonia.
    I'm in love with the fun dress that wraps to the back, and then wraps to the front.
    I would appreciate it if you could hang a picture of the extended dress to see how to make the part of the back that is carried forward: the other part is already more or less clear to me. I have a tropical print that I think would be ideal for this pattern.
    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be happy to post more detailed pictures of the dress. I'll post a note here when the pictures are up.

      Delete