f

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thrifty Thursday and OOTD

I had a very busy day today, so this post is coming just under the line for Thursday, at least in America.
Up first is the OOTD, my Hot Patterns Summer Breeze dress. I went with my yellow heels and a purse I made a while back for Fabulous Free Pattern Friday.
Here's a better picture of the bag. If you missed the post, it's actually made out of  a placemat. You can find the post here, http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2012/06/fabulous-free-pattern-friday.html
 An easy bag made from a placemat.
 I'm really enjoying the dress. Just perfect for summer.
Now for the Thrifty Thursday part of the day. Have you heard of Tina Givens? She has a lovely line of patterns that have been designed for linen or soft cottons. She has a number of free patterns.

Her patterns are soft, romantic and especially easy to wear. Above is the Kika Dress and the Bloom Dress, both free patterns. Below is the Plinka pant, also free.

                                                  
I decided to give the Plinka pant pattern a try for a number of reasons. First of all, sometimes I just want to be comfortable and pull something on that is truly effortless. I also wanted to try out the fit of the pant. They are very loose fitting. This is a pattern that anyone can make and not have issues with the fit as long as you don't mind a loose fit.
A shot of me playing around with my husband :)
I made mine out of a crinkle cotton and I also lined them with a cotton batiste as the white crinkle cotton was just a little too sheer on its own. The pattern goes together quickly and the pants are even easier to make. Of course you could leave the ruffle off the bottom if you like.
In my crazy shot above, you can see that I only pleated up 1 side of the hem. The pattern actually tells you to pleat up the hem in 4 places.
So, a loose fitting pant that is super easy to make and has no fitting issues. You can find the Tina Givens website here along with all of her patterns.
Have fun!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

11 comments:

  1. I love this dress! The combination of the shoes and bag is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very smart dress (top picture) - and what fun pants - almost like bloomers ! They would look lovely as little PJ pants as well. I'm off to have a look at the website now ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely, Rhonda, in both of your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your summer dress is gorgeous! Nice placemat purse! Love your sandals with the Plinka pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I have had those sandals forever! They were made in Greece. The leather is excellent and the shoes are so well made so I've been able to have repairs done. At this rate, they will probably out last me!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful in your dress. I love the whole look! I had seen Tina's patterns, but never really thought about making them. Your pants may have changed my mind. They look so comfy. I couldn't rock them the way you have, but they would make great lounge pants. I may just give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a tip about the pants. Measure your hips and then compare it to the pattern. The legs are very roomy, so you can and probably should go down a size. Like I said, they are very loose fitting, so you will be much happier with the outcome if you go down a size for the hips. They are super comfortable. I've been pulling mine on after
      I get up in the morning, just so I can have something other than my pjs on and still be in something that is relaxed, loose and comfortable.

      Delete
  6. I love your dress and bag - until you mentioned you made it I would have never have guessed - am going to check out your post on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda are forever making laugh. The parting shot is hilarious. Anyway, the Hot Patterns dress is gorgeous. Rhonda readers, the photos do not do it justice. I saw it in person on Thursday along with the fabulous purse. You should try both. Thanks for introducing me to Tina Givens.

    ReplyDelete