f

Monday, July 6, 2015

Monday Morning Inspiration/Frogs

Not long after I began writing the blog, I shared this story about being desperate for buttons. While searching for the perfect button, I came across some rat tail cord that I had braided for the straps of a sun dress. It ended up being the perfect solution for Chinese Ball Buttons, but I had to cut the straps off of the sundress in  order to have enough for 6 buttons. We sewists are the mothers of invention!! Below is my button. Click on the above link if you would like to see the jacket.
I love frogs and I think that they offer us another possibility for closures that are not only functional, but beautiful as well. So I thought that I would share a few pictures of frogs that I thought were especially inspirational.
Believe it or not, the frog below is made out of ric rac. You can find the tutorial HERE.
This frog is really quite easy to make. What I especially like is the addition of the pearls.
This one is so pretty. Braid mixed with handmade silk leaves.
The frogs on this jacket are a little difficult to see, but they are made from 2 strips, 1 black and the other silver and the tie in beautifully to the silk lining of the jacket.
The frog below is a different style, but you can see that the same technique was used to create the frog.
I love the elongated braid.
This frog is spectacular. Vintage of course. Take note of the gold threads around the ball.
Same principal as the frogs above. Love how the 2 colors sets off the design.
The frog on this lace jacket blends perfectly, so it's a little difficult to see.
So simple, but so beautiful. A simple rectangle piece was made with loops on either end.
Rather than balls for the closure, tassels.
This jacket is from Martha of Now Sewing. Her work is always so inventive. This jacket has 2 simple knots that accent it beautifully. One hangs from the back neckline,
and the other drapes over the top of the pocket. You can see her post HERE.
If you would like to make some interesting frogs, the book pictured below is one that I have in my sewing library and I absolutely love it. You can find it HERE on Amazon.
Have a lovely week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

12 comments:

  1. Lovely examples! So love Martha's jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely closures! Thanks for the Monday morning inspiration, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all beautiful and creative. My favorite, which I wish were hanging in my closet, is the coral jacket with the silver and black frogs... simply fabulous! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous post, Rhonda...thanks for the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, such nice eye candy! I especially like the knots on Martha's jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous post! I love the coat with all of the fabulous fabrics. The closure's are simple, but add to the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always had a love of frog closures. Thanks for sharing all these beauties! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something so small and delicate that makes a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all beautiful. I love the two-coloured versions. Thanks for the book link. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi R,

    I love all the posts you make on fashion, architecture ,food. etc. always inspires me to do something new . thank u. i love the buttons.

    ReplyDelete