f

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sunday's Soup

I love a good cream of spinach or cream of broccoli soup. So what could be better than the two combined?!!! Today's soup is from Martha Stewart with just a few tweaks from me. It's very creamy, and yet there's not one drop of cream in the recipe. As long as you have all the ingredients, you can make it in less than a half hour. You can find the original recipe here, https://www.yahoo.com/food/martha-stewart-a-lean-green-deliciously-comforting-81583747503.html The changes that I made are highlighted in red.
Broccoli-Spinach Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 leek, white and pale green parts thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic minced
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock or water(I added a little more water)
1 bunch broccoli, chopped (6 cups)
6 ounces baby spinach (6 cups)
(I used a mixture of kale and spinach rather than just the spinach)
1 jalapeno seeded and chopped, I wanted the taste of the pepper, not the heat
 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons tahini
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add stock; bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, Parmesan, and tahini. Let cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. I used an immersible hand mixer to puree my soup. 

To serve the soup, I topped it with a little shredded parmesan cheese, a drizzle of tahini and fresh chopped chives.
I was pleasantly surprised by how good the soup is. The addition of tahini is just the perfect touch. I think that from now on whenever I want a cream of broccoli or spinach, this will be the one that I'll make. Since there is no cream in the recipe, this soup will freeze beautifully and pack well for lunches.
Hope you have had a peaceful and lovely weekend.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

No comments:

Post a Comment