f

Sunday, December 9, 2018

The Perfect Accompaniment to Soup/Cheese Crackers

If you had known me as a child, you would NEVER have guessed that I would ultimately become a vegetable lovin' gal. After my mother had helped my plate, I would carefully scrape the vegetables to the side so that they would not contaminate the other items that I loved. And yes, I felt that strongly about some of the vegetables that I was forced to eat, especially something called succotash as well as asparagus. 

It would rarely happen, but on occasion, bread and butter would be on the table, mostly when we had guests. I so loved having guests as I could help my own plate, bypass the vegetables that I hated, and load up on bread and butter. And that's exactly why we didn't get bread and butter on a regular basis. 
  
Just before Thanksgiving, I had a dinner party and decided to make up some cheese crackers as an appetizer. When dinner began, a friend of mine was helping her plate, and I noticed her take a very small portion of a dish that I knew she loved. I asked, "are you sure that's all you want?" She sheepishly replied, "I ate too many of the cheese crackers!!!" As everyone left, they all went home with a package of cheese crackers. I wonder if they even made it home ;)

I actually posted this recipe 4 years ago! Wow, where does time go?!! Since things get lost in the pages of a blog, and since my friends were so very pleased with the cheese crackers, and since this is the season of parties and special meals, I thought I would post it again. What I especially love about this recipe is that the crackers are made up ahead of time. They can actually sit in the refrigerator for a week, or more. When you are ready for a few, pull them out of the refrigerator, slice a few, pop them in the oven and you'll have fresh, warm crackers for yourself and or guests.


Aunt Clara's Cheese Crackers

ingredients;
2 sticks of butter at room temperature
8 oz.of sharp cheddar cheese grated
3 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper(optional)
1 teaspoon of salt


directions;
Mix all ingredients together with hands. Once combined, divide mixture into 2 equal portions. Roll into long logs about 1" in diameter.
Roll into plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
When ready to serve, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut into 1/8" rounds. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Makes 8 dozen.
The dough can also be frozen. 

A dear friend gave me this recipe. It was one that her Aunt Clara would make for special occasions. Although Aunt Clara is no longer with us, I think it is fitting that Aunt Clara continues to receive credit :)

Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. They look good! Question - can you tell me what a 'stick of butter' is - I mean how much butter is that? also what'sharp' cheddar cheese is - is that mature? Sorry, this is case of cooking and baking terms being different here. I can do 'cups' though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The equivalent of 2 sticks of butter would be 1 cup. I'm not sure how the cheese would translate. Here we have cheddar cheese that is mild, sharp, and extra sharp. To be honest, just go with a cheddar cheese that you enjoy. I like a cheddar cheese that has been aged for 5 years. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Rhonda I am french and a cup is of no use for me. Can you estimate in weight, or not ? Thank you so much i a always happy to read your posts, even if I don't leave a comment.

      Delete
    3. Hi Dora, I looked up the equivalent to grams, hope this helps;
      1 cup of butter is equal to 226.8g

      Delete
  2. Rhonda, I made these crackers last year to take to a group party and they were quite a hit! Everyone who asked for the recipe received it with clear credit to you and Aunt Clara. Am glad to see you repeat posting it, it is well worth savoring.

    ReplyDelete