f

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Something Sweet on Sunday/Pumpkin Torte with Cookie Crust

For those who celebrate Thanksgiving, most will have pumpkin pie for dessert. Truth be told, I am not the biggest fan of pumpkin pie. So, this year, I decided to try a little something different, and it was a hit! In fact, my husband loved what I did so much that he asked me to make it again for his birthday, which is today :) 


My husband loves Pecan Sandies made by Keebler. He had brought home a bag that was rather crumbled. As I looked at the crumbs the thought came to me that they might make a great crust. 


So, I began with an entire bag of cookies that I crumbled.


The cookie crumbs were mixed with 5 tablespoons of melted butter and 5 tablespoons of flour. All were mixed and pressed into the bottom of a spring form pan. the crust was baked at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. 


While the crust baked, I mixed up the filling, 
2 eggs
1 can of pumpkin,
1 can of evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice


Once the crust had baked, I poured the filling over the cookie crust. The filling was baked at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.



While the filling baked, I made a batch of candied pecans. You can find the recipe HERE



I chopped up about 1/2 cup.


I removed the torte from the oven and sprinkled it with the chopped, candied pecans. The torte was put back into the oven and baked at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. 


The ring was removed from the torte and allowed to cool. The result is a lighter than air, and if I may say so, a very delicious torte. 

Pumpkin Torte with Cookie Crust

Crust ingredients;
1 pkg. Pecan Sandies crumbled
5 tablespoons melted butter
5 tablespoons flour


Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix all ingredients together and press in the bottom of a spring form pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Filling ingredients;
1 15oz. can pure pumpkin
3/4 granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 12oz. can evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix all ingredients with an electric mixer. Pour over baked cookie crust. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of candied pecans. Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees and continue to bake for 40 minutes or until torte is set.


   
If you give the torte a try,I hope you like it as much as my husband did! :)
It really makes a lovely fall/winter dessert, and it can be made a day ahead of time, so all the better.

Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds scrumptious. With your lovely figure, I'm guessing you won't each much of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for the compliment Carol :) I will eat a little, but most will go to my husband.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your husband and also to my husband. It's a good birth day for husbands. The torte looks delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your husband had a lovely birthday. Mine did! And he was especially happy with his birthday dessert :)

      Delete
  4. This looks scrumptious! (Especially the candied pecans!) I'm no fan of pumpkin pie, either - I'll have to remember to refer to your recipe, should the need arise for a pumpkin dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The filling is much more of a mousse, very light, so not the usual hard pack that you usually experience in a pumpkin pie. It's a great dessert for any fall/winter dinner party.

      Delete
  5. The recipe says 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie filling. Should that be pumpkin pie spice? I'm a pumpkin lover and this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you for catching my typo! Yes, it's 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. I'll be sure to change that.

      Delete