f

Monday, October 15, 2018

Catching Up and Something New

Happy Monday!

Anniversaries are on my mind. As I shared yesterday, Mr. Berkley has now been with us for 12 weeks...and counting :) This past week, it occurred to me that I have a blog anniversary coming up. On October 20, 2009, I wrote my first ever blog post. Nine years ago, amazing! Lots of highs, and sadly, some pretty deep lows. But, that's life. This past year was an especially difficult year. Nothing to do with sewing, or designing. I am still working on the story. What I have found interesting is how emotionally draining the project has been. All the more reason that it needs to be written. More on the past 9 years in a few days.

This past summer, my husband and I were in Colorado. I love Colorado in the winter, and now I love it just as much, if not more in the summer. The picture below was taken at Rocky Mountain National Park. No, I was not hiking in that skirt!!!


One morning, Berkley went crazy, barking and running through the house. I looked out, and to my amazement, there was a GREAT BIG bear walking across the road. Without thinking, I grabbed my phone and ran out on the deck. As the bear came closer, I looked at where the bear was, how close he was to the stairs, and how far I was from the door. I decided it was time to run back inside :/ 


I had quite a bit of company over the summer. I decided that a lovely take home gift for all would be to make pillowcases. The middle pair were given to a friend who is starting a new life in Helena, MT. I am so very excited for her. I'll share her story at some point. She is one of the most inspiring people I know.


The pair below went to Austin, Texas. She loves them, and commented that she doesn't know what it is, but she actually sleeps better on these pillowcases. Maybe it's just the pillow, but then, it might be because they were made with love :) 


I gave a friend of mine one of my tea towels. I told her to use it in a bread basket. She posted this picture on Instagram and said that she thought it was too beautiful for bread and decided to put it on her back instead. What an honor :) She is another super inspiring friend of mine. Another story I should share. I absolutely think the world of her!


I had the honor of meeting this sweet lady. A number of years ago now, my husband and I were stuck in Lincoln, Nebraska due to an ice storm. I mentioned it on the blog. That prompted Joan to send a note. Since then, we have stayed in touch. She actually had a dream about meeting me! When she told me the story, I knew I had to make it happen. We shared such a lovely morning. She picked me up and took me to her church for morning mass and breakfast. Such a perfect start to the day. Gracie is always starved for a little love...Berkley...much more interested in whatever is going on ;)   


Joan gave me the sweetest gift. She actually chose the fabric just for me. Such an honor. The bags have metal measuring tapes in the top, so they snap shut. I am not sure if Joan used a pattern for the bags, but I will find out, and if she did, I'll share the info. Aren't they an absolute treasure?!!!


And finally, my something new...
This Sunday I will announce a new blog that I will be writing. It will not be for everyone, that's why I decided to make it completely separate from this blog. But, it has been on my heart for quite some time, so I am especially excited to have finally gotten it up and running. You'll find the link in next Sunday's Sunday Night Reflections post. I will only be posting once a week on that blog, but I think it will be quite special.

More to share, but that's enough for now :)
Wishing you a wonderful and happy week!
 Rhonda   



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. What wonderful stories to share with us Rhonda!

    Congrats on your blog anniversary and OMG THAT BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new blog is exciting news! The vest made with your fabric is GORGEOUS! I'd buy a yard of that in a heartbeat. Is it on Spoonflower? I can't remember if this is a one off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not surprised that so many people respond to you kindly and with gifts, etc. You are a very kind woman yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to see the new blog! I enjoy your writing and point of view so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to the new blog. Question on your pillows - do you ever have a problem with the narrow accent curling up after washing? Do you sew it down? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shot of the bear! You were pretty close. I wish I was starting a new life in Helena, MT (one of my all-time favorite places in MT and somewhere I've always wanted to live, though I was born and raised miles from there). I'm a fourth-generation Montanan (which makes my grandkids six-generation Montanan, which is getting rarer these days). We had to leave Montana about fourteen years ago for my husband's job. I haven't found a cure for homesickness yet. Almost all of my family and friends are still in MT, so I'm hoping we'll be able to retire there. I hope your friend has a wonderful life in Helena--many blessings on her move! And I'm sure looking forward to what your new blog is going to be about. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see your new blog. I know that it will be something special.
    My you are brave - waiting for the bear to come that close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your introduction of the new blog is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post with lots of info & inspiration! I believe those bags are called snap bags & there is a pattern - although once you make one you can change size & add embellishments. I’ve made lots as they make great gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pillowcases are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete