f

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Sunday's Soup/Winter Root Vegetable Soup with Kale

Happy Sunday Everyone!!!

Thank you for all the wonderful comments that were left on my Grateful post. A couple of you had me laughing so hard with the idea of the antics of my girlfriend and I sounding like an episode of I Love Lucy!!! Like I said, we've been friends for 35 years, and have done some pretty crazy things. Yes, we could be our own comedy show ;) Thanks for the laughs, I really needed that. Nothing like a good laugh to cleanse the soul :) 

Have you ever heard of the Moosewood Cookbook? It's a funky, vegetarian cookbook that I absolutely love. In fact, the same friend from the Grateful post gave it to me over 30 years ago. My copy is now a very well worn book, loose pages and a taped together spine. 

One of the things that I especially enjoy, other than the recipes, are the cute little drawings that accompany each recipe. When I began putting the soup recipes together, my goal was to eventually publish a cookbook/soup book. I'm now working on the book(finally), and rather than photographs, I'm doing drawings that are similar to what you might find in the Moosewood Cookbook. 

I'm currently going through my recipes and testing/tweaking them just to make sure that when they are published, and tried, it will taste just like what I make. 

Back in 2013, I published a recipe for a Creamy Winter Root Vegetable Soup.   I love a good cream soup, but when I began to test the recipe, I decided to make it into a vegan version, and that's what I am going to share with you today. 


The ingredients are basically the same, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic and fresh basil.


No butter was used in this recipe, just olive oil. The onions were sauteed until tender in the olive oil, and then the vegetables were added, along with the vegetable broth.


Another change with this recipe is the addition of chopped kale, green pigeon peas (for protein), and dried rosemary. 

If you have never used green pigeon peas before, they are a lovely little pea that has a bit of substance to it, not at all mushy.


This is not a creamed version of the soup, just a nice hearty winter vegetable soup.



Winter Root Vegetable Soup with Kale

printable recipe

Ingredients;

3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 parsnips sliced, about 3 pounds in total
4 Irish potatoes, chopped
4 carrots sliced
1 large yellow onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
4 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil

2 cups finely chopped kale
1 14 oz. can Green Pigeon Peas drained and rinsed
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried rosemary 
10-12 cups of vegetable broth 
salt and black pepper to taste


Heat olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot. Add chopped onion and saute until tender. Add carrots, parsnips, potatoes, bay leaves, and garlic along with 8 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 20-30 minutes. Add chopped fresh basil, chopped kale, pigeon peas, and rosemary. Adjust liquid. Depending upon the size of your vegetables, you may need to add up to 4 more cups of broth. If more broth has been added, bring to a boil once again, then reduce to simmer and cook for another 10 minutes, giving the herbs and kale time to flavor the soup.

Serve with warm crusty bread, or my favorite, a pan of fresh made cornbread. 

The recipe yields 8 hearty servings. 

If you give it a try, hope you enjoy it!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. Will you soup book be vegetarian? I have been looking for a completely vegetarian soup cook book fire about 10 years (unsuccessfully!) So I will be on the preorder list if you do publish one! I always save your soup recipes and have tried and loved several. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so happy that those you have tried, you’ve enjoyed! All of the recipes will be vegetarian, but not all vegan. Some vegan, some vegetarian. I will include ideas for adding meat for those who would like the option. But some just won’t work with meat.

      Delete
    2. Love Soup is completely vegetarian and I believe vegan also. Your winter root veggie soup sounds yummy Rhonda. I've enjoyed the Moosewood cookbook for years too.

      Delete
  2. An old yoga teacher lent me her Moosewood cook book many years ago. I’ve since checked it out from the library from time to time. Looking forward to your new book. Every soup I’ve made of yours has been great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your soups look so tasty! I've got some aging vegetables set aside to make vegetable stock - I'm planning to make the roasted cauliflower soup you posted recently.

    ReplyDelete