f

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sunday Night Reflections

I think that most everyone has read the poem,
Footprints In The Sand
One night a man had a dream. He dreamed
he was walking along the beach with the LORD.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to him, and the other to the LORD.
When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.
This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:
"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed you most you would leave me."
The LORD replied:
"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

On September 16, 2012 I read, "My life has changed. My father died last night." Over the past few months, I have read along as Joan of http://www.jonadelefashions.blogspot.com/ has cleaned out her father's home. I think that her blog has been a wonderful tool in helping her mourn as well as heal. She recently posted this story. I thought it was so touching, so I asked her permission to reprint it here. She is very happy to have it shared with all of you.
"I am sure you are wondering what one does with this carved foot. It has a great story behind it.
I am sure that my father realized better then I did what it would mean when I chose to move from Minnesota to California. He knew that he would not be able to see his grandchildren like he would see his local ones. So when one of my sons was about 12 years old he bought two of these wooden feet. He gave one to my son and said that when he looked at it he was to think of him and say a prayer. The other one was for my father to keep and he would do the same and when he looked at his he would think of my son and he would say a prayer for him. So when my son heard that my father was dying he put his foot in his pocket and flew to Minnesota. When he walked into the hospital room, my father said to my son it is time to take your foot. My son came to the house and put the two feet together and he took a picture of the two feet. He then went back to the hospital and showed my father and said now our feet are together. My son sat with my father in the hospital for three days talking and sharing with him. When it was time for him to leave I asked if he would take both feet and he said no I will wait until it is over. He later told me do not send it, but to bring it back when I return as he doesn't want anything to happen to the foot. My father was so wise."
Joan

Yes, her father was wise in deed. He understood how to let go and still be attached. A small wooden trinket was a symbol of the love he had for his grandson as well as a symbol of his faith. In turn, the trinket taught the child how to love and develop faith in his own life. I think that in time, one of the feet will be passed on to a new generation and that generation will also be better because one man lived and loved and believed in someone greater than himself. 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

1 comment: