f

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Cinnamon Apple Cake
The recipe for this cake/breakfast cake was found on Pinterest. Wow, do I love Pinterest! This is from the October 1997 edition of Cooking Light. This has to be one of my new favorite recipe finds. It is truly wonderful, super easy to throw together and can be eaten far too fast!
I was in such a hurry to get this going this morning that I completely forgot to take pictures of the process, so I only have a picture of it coming out of the oven. What a delightful way to begin the morning. The whole house smells like apples and cinnamon!  
Ingredients

1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup stick margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups chopped peeled Rome apple (about 2 large)
Cooking spray

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.

Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, margarine, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.

Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and apple in a bowl, and stir apple mixture into batter. Pour batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, and cut using a serrated knife.

Note: You can also make this cake in a 9-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch springform pan; just reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes.
The only change I made to this recipe is that after spraying the pan with the cooking spray, I coated the bottom of my pan with chopped walnuts which gave a lovely nut crunch to the bottom of the cake. Oh, one other thing, I did not chop my apples. I sliced mine. I really like how they layered through the cake.
 I highly, highly recommend this recipe. Everyone loved it.
Hope you're having a lovely Sunday!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

1 comment:

  1. This looks divine!!! I will be making this one for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete