f

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A Furry Sneak Peek

I am so excited about having the opportunity to give a lecture on working with fur at the upcoming Original Sewing and Quilting Expo in Schaumburg, IL and Fredricksburg, VA!

I'll be showing a number of jackets and coats, but this one I am especially partial to. In my last post about the coat, I told you that this is the 3rd reincarnation. Talk about recycling!!! 
Below is the early stages of a raglan sleeve coat with a swing hemline.  


When you love fur, it seems that friends will shower you with fabulous gifts. The collar and cuffs that I am using on the jacket came from a friend. The coat had belonged to her grandmother. 


Once the expo is over, I will share more of the coat, but for now, here's the sleeve with the fur cuff. A friend of mine had given me the embroidered trim and I loved how it worked with the fur. 


The jacket has a center front zipper. For those of you living in Chicago, go by Leonard Adler on Montrose in Chicago. They have a fabulous selection of zippers.
With any garment really, but especially with furs, a little extra touch is always fun, so I added the trim down the front along the edge of the lining. Now when the coat is opened, the eye will get a glimpse of something special.


I wanted to give you a closer look at this trim as it really is quite special. It's actually hand embroidered. For the most part, it is perfect, but if you look closely, there are wonderful little imperfections that give it that special made by hand appeal :) 


I am doing 2 fur classes in Schaumburg, one on Thursday morning, and the other on Friday midday. Even if you don't take one of my classes, stop by, I would love to meet you!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. That trim is extraordinary and so fitting for such a luxe coat. It will keep you warm in Chicago temps in winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trim was such a lovely gift and I am so happy that I am able to use and enjoy it! The coat is going to keep me so nice and warm. Can't wait for winter 😊

      Delete
  2. You're amazing! The coat looks fabulous. And may-be I can look on this and finally get inspired to turn my box of fur collars into a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I have inspired you to pull out your collars! It's amazing, at least to me how much I enjoy my fur pieces. Maybe it has something to do with them being reworked, or the work I put into bringing them back to life, I don't know, but they are a joy 😊

      Delete