f

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Fun With Fur and The Original Sewing and Quilting Expo

My first introduction to working with fur was when I attended fashion design school. I loved every moment of my fur classes. 

Since then, I am always on the look out for a fur that is in good shape and can be restyled. The piece below was purchased when I was in school and originally made into a coat that had hand knitted bands around the neckline, sleeves and the bottom of the coat. I loved it and wore it for a number of years until I grew tired of it and decided to make it into something different.  The coat is now on it's third metamorphosis.

I think that seeing the inside is always a treat. The seams show where the skins have been sewn to each other. Take note that there are no seam allowances.


The outside of the fur. None of the pieced together seams show.



This is just a preview of the finished coat. One of the fun things about working with vintage fur is that you can mix and match and come up with something you will truly enjoy.


If you are coming to the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo in Schaumburg, IL, or Fredricksburg, Virginia, I will be teaching a class on working with fur. As intimidating as it may seem, I think you'll find that it's really a lot of fun. 

Over the next few days, I'll give you a few more glimpses of my coat.

Hope you can make it to one of the expos. I would really love to meet you!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome process. Sorry I can't attend the Expo - if I was there I surely would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working with fur is so much fun. Maybe one day I will have something closer to you. 😊

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! That looks so warm! Would that I lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold here in Chicago can be bitter, and a coat like this makes all the more bearable. I wish you lived closer too!

      Delete
  3. I have a fur jacket from a charity shop with the intention of playing and working out how to work in fur. All I need is the time!
    I wish I was able to come to your demonstration - it would probably save me hours of mess 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about a piece from the charity shop is that you have permission to just play and learn! Make a mess, that's part of the fun 😊

      Delete
  4. Lovely, Rhonda! Is this mink, or possibly sheared beaver? I love vintage fur items (especially the odd-to-me furs, like raccoon or coyote!) and have a few of my own, though I've never sewn with that material before. And in a Chicago winter, I'm sure your refashioned fur coat is a wonderful thing to have handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main portion of the coat is mouton lamb. A wonderful skin that has a long, look no life. The cuffs and the collar I think are mink, but then again, I'm not sure as there is a little different quality to the hair. Chicago winters can be brutal, and nothing keeps you quite as warm. I know a lot of people have issues with fur, but I feel that I am saving something rather than allowing it to be discarded.

      Delete
  5. Oh that looks lovely. I have picked up a few fur (sheepskin) jackets from the charity shops over the years but its not often dry and cold enough to wear them in the UK.
    This does remind me that I have a lovely old fur jacket that was passed on from my mothers attic that is missing one arm. I really need to get round to working out what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be doing a few more posts in the futility that will hopefully spur you on 😊

      Delete