f

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Thrifty Thursday/An Easy Chic Jacket

An Easy Chic Free Jacket Pattern From Sew News
This jacket is actually a Thrifty Thursday pattern repeat. First of all, I really like the pattern and it works so well for what I wanted to do. This jacket was originally in the December/January 2014 issue of Sew News.
You may remember the boiled wool jacket that I made from this pattern. You can find my original post HERE.
A few weeks ago, Shams of www.communing.blogspot.com posted a great jacket that she had made using a Kantha quilt. You can see her jacket HERE. Below is Heidi Klum in an original Kantha jacket. 
I was in love!!!, so I headed directly over to Etsy and found this shop and the quilt that is quickly becoming a jacket which you see below. Shams did a much more tailored version which is incredibly beautiful and artistic, but I liked the voluminous version that you see on Heidi, so I knew where to head for my pattern.  
Since the quilt is backed, the jacket can be reversible. I stitched down my center back seam.
                     
If I want to wear the jacket with the reverse side out, then the collar will have the pattern.
The seams as well as my raw edges will need to be finished. I found the batik print that you see below which I will use to make bias tape and then finish my seams and raw edges.
If you like the jacket pattern that Sew News posted, I recommend downloading it soon as I'm not sure of how much longer it will be available. You can find the pattern HERE. It is a PDF pattern, so you will have to tape it together, but there are only 3 pattern pieces so the taping doesn't take that much time.
I'll post my completed jacket as soon as I 'm finished. The weather is supposed to take a turn toward some warmer temperatures next week, so I want to get it finished in order to enjoy the jacket as well as the warmth!!!
Thanks Shams for the inspiration!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

24 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like the softer colour pallet of your quilt. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I'm a nut for this color of blue!

      Delete
  2. The Heidi version captured my heart from the first moment I laid eyes on it 1-1/2 yrs ago. I'm so intrigued and besotted with kantha cloth, and your jacket is absolutely GORGEOUS, Rhonda .. those colors are just dreamy. And how great that with kantha you get 2 jackets! That batik will make a great binding and happy pop with the turquoise. Can't wait to see it and to see it on you! Kudos to you and Shams, who also made that great kantha jacket .. you're both so creative, productive and totally inspiring. Tthese are special pieces that you will enjoy for many, many years, along with the well deserved oohs and aahs of tons of admirers. In case any have interest in the StitchersGuild posts on the Heidi jacket and kantha, here's the link:

    http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,18886.0.html.

    Thrilled to get, and thanks so much for the download, Rhonda, and ALL you so generously share.. ~Joy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I see I am really late to the party, but I guess late is better than never ;) I am so happy with the fabric and the jacket.
      Thanks too for the Artisan's Square link.

      Delete
  3. Oh, so pretty! That is a great pattern/fabric match. I've, so far, not let myself buy a kantha quilt, tho I've been tempted so often!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. My quilt did not have the mix of fabrics, but I really like it. Just such a fun project.

      Delete
  4. There is nothing better than lying down swaddled in a cozy quilt, accept being able to wear it when out. This takes the idea of quilting to a whole new level of appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm typically not much for quilted jackets, but this one really grabbed me. It really does feel great on :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. Love Heidi's coat and your version is very very nice. The quilted effect adds interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no padding in the quilt. The stitching is what really gives it the texture.

      Delete
  6. I'm one step behind you! Just waiting for my Kantha quilt to arrive and in the meantime I'm researching suitable patterns. Perfect timing Rhonda, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever you do, it will be spectacular I'm sure!

      Delete
  7. Yay for Charise Randell's pattern! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspirational! What size quilt are you using, Rhonda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My quilt was approximately 2 1/2 yards long by a little less than 60" wide and I had more than enough for the jacket.

      Delete
  9. I was inspired by Sham's post too, and admittedly spent a fair amount of time looking at the quilts on Etsy.
    As I hadn't been aware of them before, I was bit unsure what to look for. I know some are made with vintage saris, others appear to be new. I think Shams said she had to work around some weak areas ( I could be wrong). Do you have any tips for choosing your quilt, other than colour and print preferences?
    Thanks for the lovely pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just jumped in and bought the first one that appealed to me!

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful coats. I absolutely love Kantha Quilts. They are gorgeous and your coats really set them off. Lovely colours. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As it turns out, I am super late at getting to the Kantha quilt party. I had not heard of them before, but now I am in love. May even get one for my bed as it will be great for the summer.

      Delete
  11. I'm extremely late to the game.. I printed out the pattern but did not see any written instructions. Visually the construction seems pretty simple. Do you have any tips or advice on assembly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions are in the issue of Sew News that you see in the post. The jacket is super easy to put together. Begin by sewing the center back seam of the collar. Then sew the collar and the shoulder seams to the back. Attach the sleeves, and then sew up the side seams. That should get you well on your way. Let me know if you have further questions.

      Delete