f

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunday's Soup/Yellow Split Pea and Hominy Soup

Maybe it was my Texas upbringing, or maybe it's just me, but I love hominy! It's great in soups, it's great cooked with scrambled eggs, it's great sauteed with vegetables, it's great on its own. In fact, I think I could eat hominy with just about anything.
A few weeks back, I was doing a little shopping in my favorite grocery store. It's not a big chain store, but a small neighborhood store that's a throw back to the stores where my grandmother would shop. There's a real butcher counter, a deli counter, incredibly fresh vegetables, and for the most part, I can find everything I need. Quite often, I like to just slowly stroll the isles, as I find new and interesting products and other times, I'm just inspired to try a new dish. On this particular trip, I came across the hominy and then I looked over and saw yellow split peas. My mind popped and off I went to find other ingredients. If you've never cooked with hominy, this is how I like to buy it, dried.
It must be soaked over night prior to cooking. Once soaked, it becomes somewhat tender. With hominy, you get a corn taste, but it is much milder and somewhat creamy.
The split peas will not need to be soaked over night. But, be sure to rinse them.
Yellow Split Pea and Hominy Soup

1 large yellow onion chopped
1 yellow bell pepper chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 carrots sliced
8 ounces hominy (be sure to soak overnight)
16 ounces yellow split peas
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 cups of vegetable or chicken broth depending upon your taste
salt and black pepper to taste

Mix hominy with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook hominy until water has been adsorbed and hominy is tender, approximately 1 hour. Set aside. The hominy can be cooked a day or so ahead and kept in the refrigerator.

Heat olive oil and add chopped onion, celery and yellow bell pepper. Saute until tender on medium heat. Add garlic and continue to saute for another minute. Add carrots, split peas, spices and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and then simmer until peas and carrots are tender, approximately 30 minutes. Add cooked hominy and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

I topped my soup with a little paprika. Makes it pretty and adds just a little extra punch!
The soup freezes well, so it's a great stock up soup and wonderful for weekday lunches.
If you give it a try, I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as as I did!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love hominy. Mostly I've had the canned version. I have a mexican soup recipe that uses hominy and I forgot to pull it out this past winter. Today it's in the 80's. I must try this one and get the dried hominy. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea what hominy was until about six months ago. I still didn't really before I read your post. I thought it only came in cans and was some weird brine soaked popcorn. I love trying new stuff and my kids are pretty good with trying most things, but none of us really understood how anybody could eat it, or perhaps what they did to render it eatable (but then this foreigner also recognises that Aussies eat stuff - like vegemite- that nobody else in the world will touch ;-)). I do like the idea of this soup though. It makes a lot of sense, and looks delicious. I might have to give this one a try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of homing but I will see if it can be found here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely sounding soup - I think that my vegetarian child and non-vegetarian child will agree to like it. And so cheap!

    ReplyDelete