f

Friday, December 16, 2011

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

For those of you who have been following me for a while, you know that I made this skirt last Christmas.

You won't believe how easy it is to make.

You may remember that the top I'm wearing was in last year's Thread's Dec./Jan. issue. A number of you have made it. You're probably wondering, when will the pattern be available?!!
The skirt is nothing more than a yoke and eight panels. The panels are not like the eight-gore skirt, they are true rectangular panels.
To begin, use a skirt that fits and cut a yoke from that skirt. To cut a yoke, measure down from the waistline 9" all the way around the skirt. Make sure to add seam allowance to your new yoke.
To make the panels, measure the circumference of your yoke, for demonstration purposes, we'll use 32". Divide this number by 8. The result will be 4. We are making box pleats so you will need to multiply 4 x 3 which will equal 12".  Measure down from the bottom of your yoke the desired length of your skirt.   
To form the scalloped bottom of the skirt, extend the lines on either side of your pattern down far enough that you will be able to connect the side lines to the center at a 45 degree angle as you see in the picture below.
You will need a notch at the center of your pattern. On either side of the center line, divide your pattern into thirds. Put another notch on the third that is closest to the edge of your pattern.

You will need to put a notch for sewing purposes at the line that you determined as your desired length of your skirt.

To form the box pleats, fold on the notch that is closest to the edge of your pattern.

 Your box pleats will look like the above picture.
To form the scallop at the hem of your skirt, stitch along the 45 degree angle. Before you cut out your pattern, be sure to add seam allowances. I used 1/4" on the 45 degree angles and 1/2" on the sides of my panels.
 In this picture, you can see that I stitched the 45 degree angle.
 In this picture you can see the stitched angle and the seam where I stitched the panel to the next panel. You can also see a fold line. This is where the point will be turned up,
 and tacked back to the angled line.(You can also see that I did not finish my seams....bad, bad me)

So that is just how easy this skirt is to make, a yoke and eight rectangular panels.
This skirt would also be spectacular as a full, floor length skirt.
Good luck and as always, if you decide to give it a try and have a problem, I'm always here to help.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Well how about that. You are a wonderful teacher. When I first saw this skirt, I thought it would be too complicated to make. Especially, drafting the pattern. This tutorial makes it easy as 1, 2 3, 4 and 5. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, I still remember the skirt, top and those fabulous boots from last year's Haute Couture holiday lunch. That was the first time I got to spend time talking with you--you wowed us all with your gorgeous creations--and I was so impressed with your kindness and generosity!

    ReplyDelete