f

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The 6-Gore Skirt

The 6-Gore Skirt With a Flared Hem
We've done the 8-Gore skirt and I showed you a variation of adding lace to the seams of the panels. The math for the 6-Gore skirt is exactly the same as the 8-Gore skirt, just divide by 6 rather than 8.

It's very difficult to see in this picture, but I've added flare to the bottom portion of the panels which gives the the hem of the skirt a very swishy quality when you move. 
 You can see the flare much better in these pictures.
So to do this, follow the instructions for the 8-gore skirt and divide the measurements by however many panels you wish to have. By the way, the more panels, the more swish!!

I wanted my flare to begin at approximately the mid part of my thigh. The length of my skirt is just below my knee. Measure up from your hem to where you would like for your flare to begin. I added 3 inches to either side of my panel. Remember, whatever you add will be times 2. When you sew the panels together, the flare will be on both sides so the 3 inches I added will actually make a 6 inch flare.
Where you started your flare, you will want to round out the angle so that you will not have such a sharp angle when you sew your skirt together. At the hem of the skirt you will want to find the mid point between the center of the panel and the edge of the skirt. In order to have a nice rounded edge to the hem of your skirt, draw an angled line line up from the mid point to the edge of your skirt. The angle should measure 1/2 inch to 1 inch. The more flare you add, the more dramatic the angle will be. If you don't do this, you will have points rather than a nice rounded edge at your seam lines.
The finished pattern.
This is so quick and easy to do and makes such a great skirt.
Good luck and as always, email me if you have any questions. I'll do my best to help.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda,

    I have been asked to make a 6-Gore Skirt for my grandmother. I have an old skirt of hers to copy off and the above post will help, thanks! Just a question from a novice sewer: do I make the angle on each side of the gore the same or is one side angled slightly more? From the skirt that I have it seems that it is angled slightly more but it would be good if I knew for sure.

    Thank you,
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joel,
      Both sides of the fire should have the same angle. If she has worn the skirt quite a bit, then the lines could look a little different just from normal wear. Good luck! I'm sure you will do fine :)

      Delete