f

Monday, April 22, 2019

Monday Morning Inspiration/Dior, Part 2

I always find the link between what's happening at the moment, and a suddenly remembered event to be so fascinating. When I started to feed the dogs Saturday morning, I realized that I had forgotten to buy dog food, all I had was about a tablespoon of dry food in the canister. Since I wasn't about to rush out at 7 in the morning, I decided that it was a "make it work" situation. I had some leftover rice, and hot dogs. So I heated the rice, sliced the hot dogs, added in a little pumpkin(they always get a little pumpkin), and served it up. When Berkley took a look at the food, the look on his face was priceless, it was like, "Really???" 

When I was maybe 6, we had been to visit my grandmother. Her favorite thing to bake was banana bread, and she loved to share it with anyone who happened to stop by, with a family who had just lost a loved one, and send a loaf home with us when we visited. My mother considered the bread to be cake, so she would only give it to us as a dessert, or an afternoon treat with tea. Since we had been away, and she had not had time to shop, there was little in the way of food in the house. I couldn't believe my eyes when I came to the table, and there in front of me was a slice of banana bread, and some canned peaches. SCORE!!! I couldn't believe my luck, I was actually getting to eat banana bread for breakfast?!! And, I think that's exactly how Berkley felt when he saw that bowl of rice with cut up hot dogs :) 

Before I fell and broke my wrist/arm, I had gone to the Dior exhibit at the Denver Art Museum. What a wonderful treat it was! So happy that I had the opportunity to go. The first post I did on the exhibit, you can see HERE. In that post I shared the incredible muslins as well as the black garments that I thought were so interesting. I took gobs of pictures. It's wonderful to have an opportunity to experience something like this, but why keep it to myself? While my pictures here on the blog do not begin to compare to actually being there, at least it gives those of you who have not seen the exhibit, a bit of a taste.

Today I would like to concentrate on construction.

This jacket took my breath away. While it is very much a period-like piece, the construction, especially that of the sleeve is perfection. 


The sleeve is actually a two-piece sleeve, but take note of the dart that radiates at an angle toward the hem.


Here you can see the dart and how it radiates from the seam. Just an incredible bit of construction.


I did my best to get an up close picture of the bead work. From a distance, it's lovely, but up close, WOW!


The construction of this little sheath dress is another work of art. From a distance, it looks as though someone has walked through a forest, or field and picked up every bit of greenery they passed. 


In reality, the dress was created with layers of ribbons, sequins, and feathers.


Each piece molded perfectly to the curves of the dress.


When I saw the exhibit, I had recently completed the Poppins Bag that I shared HERE. When I saw this jacket, I immediately thought of that bag and all the lines of stitching I did in order to create body. 



Without all the stitching lines, and the interior interfacing, this jacket would just hang rather than seemingly stand at attention. 


I'm sure that most of you remember this incredible gown that was worn by Nicole Kidman. What a treat it was to see it in person!!!


From the hand-knotted back mesh panel... 


To all of the intricate embroidery...


This is truly a work of art. Look closely at the embroidery and you'll see that it is the tambour embroidery technique that I shared with you HERE last week.


I hope you enjoyed taking a look :) I have lots more to share, and I am feeling more and more like myself with each passing day.

Have a wonderful week, and I hope that something will happen to spur some sweet memories for you! 
Rhonda
        



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you are feeling better, I enjoy your blog tremendously, and I thank you for sharing Dior with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been amazed by how much better I feel with each passing week. It is so good to be getting back to the things that I enjoy doing :) So glad you are enjoying the Dior posts.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pictures. It makes me want to hop a plane and spend several days at the Museum.
    Know the look on Barkley's face. When our 'tween Dachshund get rice, etc the look on her face is, "SCORE" as she scarfs it down.
    Glad you are feeling better. Is there anyway to change my e-address?
    Keep up the great blogs. I always look forward to your pictures and ruminations
    Best,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne, I'm not quite sure about the e-address??? There is a place on the blog where you can follow via email. You should be able to put in whatever your current email address is and receive notices as to when I post. Thanks so much for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to hear you are progressing with your healing and getting back to your sewing. I have really enjoyed the Dior posts so much. Your pictures are wonderful. I hope you have more. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have more! Most likely enough for 2 more posts :) So happy you are enjoying them!

      Delete
  5. I do remember that dress worn by Nichole Kidman. Every time I see those photos I stop and study. To me it is the perfect dress. At 5'2" I do not have the stature to carry it off, but Nichole does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is she quite tall, she is very thin. When I saw the dress, I was surprised by just how thin she was when she wore this gown. But yes, it is just such an amazing piece of art.

      Delete
  6. Oh, my, that floral jacket! I would accept it any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, only if they would give me the dress too!!! ;) It is such a gorgeous piece!

      Delete
  7. Hello, dear Rhonda. So glad you're doing better. We all missed you when you were recovering. Wow...the photos are just beautiful--thanks so much for sharing. I've been watching a show on Acorn this past week called "A Stitch in Time" where a shop of modern-day women tailors sew historic garments from historic paintings. It's so fun to see them replicate these types complicated constructions (definitely couture of that day). The host, fashion historian Amber Butchart, is so fun to watch too. She is definitely a fashionable presenter! I think everyone would love to see the process. The tailors use the same tools that were originally used in the past, so no modern help. If you look up "Arnolfini Portrait" they made the green dress in the painting (and even show you the dyeing process to get that color of green). Another cool thing about the show is that you learn the history behind the paintings as well. Loving textiles myself, it's been so fun to watch; I've been pacing myself and savoring each episode. It's always fun to see what they'll come up with next (last week it was a leather jacket; all agreed that it would fit right into our world now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually found the show on YouTube!!! Thanks so much for telling me about it. I'll do a blog post on it as I think many would enjoy the show.
      I missed all of you as well! It was a rather long winter:(

      Delete