f

Monday, April 15, 2019

Monday Morning Inspiration/Tambour Beading and Embroidery

I have been able to do so little, for so long. Today is graduation day for me, in a way :) It was 8 weeks ago today that I had surgery on my wrist. I can now be without the brace as long as I am sitting down, and there is no chance of me falling, and causing re-injury. So, when I am out and about, I do have to wear it for another 4 weeks, but the best part is that I can once again


!!!!!!!SEW!!!!!!! 

It's such an amazing sense of freedom. 
I jumped the gun, just a bit as I took a wonderful class over the weekend and learned how to do tambour beading and embroidery.The first 30 minutes were beyond frustrating, but once I got the hang of it...OMG!!! What fun!

The class was centered on learning the basics and basically doing a sampler. Below you see all of my original squiggly lines. My hand still needs time to warm up, so it was a little difficult to get started, but by the time I got to the line of beads, I felt quite confident. All of the work is done with a fine needle that has a hook at the end. It is punched through the fabric where you pick up the thread, pull it through and then make a series of chain stitches. Whether you are working with beads, sequins, or just thread, the process is the same. 


Me with my hoop :)


I thought I would share a few pictures that I found on Pinterest. I just can't wait to start a real project!

This piece would be so pretty as a focal point on a top, jacket or dress.
  

I found THIS site. Such amazing work. The 2 pieces below show the work in progress. The outline is done, then stretched, and then the stitching begins. Both pieces show the initial outlining done in the chain stitch. So pretty. Be sure to check out the site as there is loads of beautiful work.



I thought this piece was incredible.


I absolutely love this picture, all the men gathered around doing tambour work. You can see that 1 hand is held underneath, and the needle is on top.


I found the video below that gives a great insight into tambour work. It's only 8 minutes long. I think you'll really enjoy it.



And finally, here's a great resource with links to lots to articles and how-tos, just click HERE.



I took my class at Sewing Classes at Tchad. You may remember the video interview I did with Tchad. You can see it HERE if you would like :) His studio is so lovely, and Tchad is full of knowledge and ideas. 

Ahhh, it feels so good to be back :)
Wishing a week filled with creativity. 
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see that you are feeling better. What a great project to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen. Those painful days are slowly becoming a distant memory :)
      I cannot wait to actually start a real project with the tambour beading and embroidery!!!

      Delete
  2. I just want to THANK YOU for posting this article about tambour beadwork!! I'm discovering it's hard to find info on it as not everyone does it, but slowly each day I discover more about it. I've done beadwork with cross stitch, made beaded jewelry, so I'm very excited about trying this with beads!!!

    ReplyDelete