f

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Bag To Pop Over!

Last Friday and Saturday, I had the opportunity to take a class, and make the Poppins Bag by Auntie's Two Patterns. It was a lot of work, but so much fun! 




As with any project, the big question is, what fabric should I use? You may remember the watercolor I did last summer and had made into fabric on the Spoonflower site. 


I had a piece printed in a 2 yard piece of cotton, just to see how I would like it. The quality was fine for basic cotton, and I had thought that I would do a skirt, then I changed my mind and thought of a kimono jacket...and then...I did nothing with it. I am so happy that I didn't as it became the focus fabric for my bag. Below you see the front of the bag once the quilting had been completed. Look closely as there is a pocket in the center panel.  


The bag has made some progress below. Rather than put another pocket on the back of the bag, I elected to do a strap so that I can carry it on the handle of my rolling suitcase. 


My finished bag. There is a frame inside the top of the bag that folds in when the bag is zipped.


 And then pops out when the bag is unzipped.


Here you can see the inside of the bag. There are 2 pockets, and loads of room! I think I could pack my entire wardrobe into this bag. Not really, but it is quite roomy.


I used this super fun rainbow zipper. 


And I love the stars that were provided for the zipper pulls. 


I made the bag at the sweetest store in Granby, Colorado. Tina, the owner is just the best! If you would like to make a bag of your own, you can order the pattern from her. The frame for the top of the bag comes with the pattern. If you do decide to make the bag, I would also order all of the foam pieces that are needed for the structure of the bag. You can find her website HERE. Just tell her that Rhonda sent you :) Don't worry, I get no compensation for this, I just love to pass along great projects, and great people :) Tina also carries the rainbow zipper and the fun star zipper pulls. 

If you do decide to make the bag, just a little word of warning, it is labor intensive. It took 2 full days to complete the bag. But, in the end, it was so worth it!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. That in ONE FABULOUS BAG, Rhonda! I simply love it, and the use of your own fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fantastic bag! Great use of your self-made fabric, and that frame for the opening is genius. I have to say that bag-making is definitely labor intensive, but it's always so satisfying when you have a new bag at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Mary would say, 'It's perfectly perfect!'

    Gorgeous fabric, great pattern. I think the work involved in this project has paid off a million times over! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag looks great! Love the zipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love this bag and your fabric makes it super special! It's going to look amazing in the airport on top of your rolling suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bag, you are a very talented lady and I love your fabric for this bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! Beautiful work. Love that rainbow zipper, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was worth all the work! It is a beautiful bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great bag! Worth all the time and effort.

    ReplyDelete