f

Thursday, April 25, 2019

A New Spring Jacket/Style Arc Grace Trans-Seasonal Coat

Have you ever made something and loved it so much that you are apprehensive about using it? Well, that's how I feel about the Poppins Bag that I made back in January. But, I am determined to sweeten the pot enough that I will use it, and that's why I decided to make the Style Arc Grace Trans-Seasonal periwinkle jacket :)


The pattern is a bit deceiving. From the drawing, it looks as though the collar will hit just below the chin. In reality, the collar actually hits above the chin, and just below the mouth. I do not have a short neck, so something to keep in mind if you do make the jacket.


The fabric that I used for the jacket is a wool gabardine that I have had for quite some time. It was actually a remnant that I purchased from Vogue Fabrics here in Chicago(actually, Evanston, IL) I only had 1 7/8 of a yard. The pattern calls for 3 yards :/, but I was determined. No matter what I did, I could not get the facing, or the pockets out of my fabric. What to do??? I had the raw silk, and as I was going through my "collection," I thought, "well, maybe." 


In the end,the jacket would have been too light had I not lined it. So rather than just using the silk as the facing, I used it to line the entire jacket. I love how well it worked out!


The instructions that come with the jacket are a bit sketchy, so I would not recommend this pattern to someone who is fairly new to sewing. The instructions for the pockets are not included in the pattern, you must go to the website to find the tutorial. 


The pocket is a welt pocket with a flap. Pretty when finished, but can be a bit tricky. I used a lining fabric for my pockets. 


As I mentioned, the collar is quite high. Rather than take it out and cut it down, I played around with it a bit and decided that I rather like the asymmetrical look if I wish to use the top button.   


Rather than top-stitch the jacket in a matching thread, I used 2 thread colors. Using the 2 colors together gave interest and an extra pop that using a matching thread would not have done.


Buttons!!! Buttons can be such a challenge. I am so very fortunate to live so close to Soutache. Such a lovely shop, like a trip to Paris without the jetlag, and she has the most amazing collection of buttons. I thought that this set of vintage buttons worked perfectly :)


I have enough of the raw silk to make either a skirt or a pair of pants. Not sure which I'll choose. If I go with the skirt, I'll also have enough for the cute Susan Khalje Boat Neck Top. If I do the latter, I will have the beginnings of a wonderful travel ensemble.



Once I get the buttonholes done, and sew on the buttons, I think I am going to really enjoy this new jacket. It also looks great with jeans, so very versatile. 
Happy Sewing!
Rhonda




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. Great jacket/coat, and I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a lovely color?! I could kick myself for allowing it to sit in the closet for so long. But, If I had used it earlier, I wouldn't have had the silk to line it with, so maybe everything turns out for the best in the end :)

      Delete
  2. Love the jacket. Very clever combination of fabrics, buttons and thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your new jacket. Please share a photo when you sew the remaining silk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! What a way to get back into your groove. What a lovely jacket, I'm sure you'll feel very special wearing it

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful jacket in a gorgeous colour and it looks so good with your new bag. Once you have made the other item(s) it will be a superb outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Can u please share how the two threads were used for topstiching? What needle size was used? Did you have any shredding of thread? What did you use in the bobbin? Thank you very much. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, I am a little swamped this week, but I will do a video next week and show what I did.

      Delete
  7. So pretty and I love the collar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous, Rhonda, and in my favorite, ever, color! The lining adds so much. I am curious. Did you use a larger eyed needle or topstitching needle to accommodate the two threads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny :) I did not use a topstitching needle, just the needle that was already in the machine. It was a size 14, and it did not have a larger eye. I had another question about the topstitching, so I will do a quick video to show what I did.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful as always Rhonda!! The stitch formation is perfect!

    ReplyDelete