f

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Little of This, and a Little of That Makes a Jacket

This morning it was raining and quite dreary out. As I sat down to do my morning writing, I heard a cardinal singing his heart out. It made me smile. Regardless of his circumstances, he was going to sing and find joy in the day. A great lesson :)

What a joy it is to be sewing again! Last week, I drafted out a pattern for a new jacket, and....

HERE IT IS!!!  
 

I am so very pleased with how it turned out. The embossed fabric is actually sheer. I backed it with a piece of navy blue cotton velvet. The cotton velvet was a lucky resale shop find. 


The front of the jacket hangs straight, while the back drapes and hangs away from the body. I added a hood, just because I felt like it ;)


The jacket is lined in this fun pop of burnt orange.


Last summer, Becky of Trial Balloons sent me this beautiful piece of embroidered silk that included a bit of cutwork. Peeking through the cutwork was the burnt orange silk. I had just enough to do cuffs, and so the inspiration for the lining.   


I actually wore this dress last Christmas. I love the fabric, a lovely stretch velvet that glistens with an undertone of the burnt orange when I move. 


I just love how the dress and the jacket look together!


A little secret on the drafting of the jacket pattern...
I actually began with the free Chelsea Raglan Tee from fabrics-store.com. If you are interested, I can do a post on how I drafted the jacket.

I was asked about the zipper. I actually bought it at Joann's Fabrics. It's a navy blue zipper with navy blue metal teeth. They also had the fun zipper pull, sold separately. I could not have been more pleased! Sometimes Joann's pulls through for us when we are in a pinch!!!

Have a wonderful day, and may you find something that will make you sing :)
 Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Only you, my Rhonda. You're amazing. I would love to see a post on how you drafted the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a post about drafting the jacket pattern. Beautiful jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a long time lurker, I'd be interested in more details about how you drafted the jacket. Gorgeous work, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this is a beautiful jacket! Yes, I would like to see how you drafted it. Love it over the dress as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute jacket! Glad to see you are sewing again, you are such an inspiration.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How talented you are! This jacket is a work of art - thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun version of the jacket. Would love to see how you drafted the jacket from a raglan tee.
    Glad you are sewing again and enjoying the Spring

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful and I would truly love to see a tutorial on how you drafted the jacket. The back of it is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the jacket, especially the back!
    Gita

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that my little Italian scrap found a perfect home. Just right. So glad you are back in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just the perfect touch! Thank you so very much :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful jacket, would love to see more information about drafting the pattern. As a long time lurker I am so glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb. It is good to be back :)

      Delete
  12. Glorious jacket, wonderful combination of texture and colour. Love the design and keen to understand how you got from t-shirt to jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I love the jacket and the complete outfit. Now that you are back to sewing--you got that jacket done in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm still a bit slow. What's interesting is that holding an iron really bothers me. So, when my hand/arm gets tired, I have to take a break. But, maybe a break is good as it gives me time to think :)

      Delete
  14. Incredible jacket and so well thought out in every detail! It's great to see you sewing again and I take it you are feeling much better. Sewing can do that to one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny. I am feeling so much better :) It's just so nice to be able to do something creative once again.

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous jacket! I love the burnt orange lining! It would be nice to see how you drafted this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful jacket! I would love to see a tutorial on how this was drafted, thank you so much for offering.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete