f

Friday, March 30, 2018

April Showers Bring Umbrellas!!!

An umbrella is something most of us don't think about...UNTIL WE NEED ONE!!! There have been so many times that I have not looked at the weather before leaving home, only to be caught in the rain, then running into a drugstore just to purchase a crummy umbrella. And then there are the times that I have an umbrella, but it has been left in the car. 

The Haute Couture Club of Chicago will be doing an umbrella workshop after our April meeting, so I needed to get mine together in order to conduct the workshop. What a fun projectthis turned out to be!

I chose this sweet bird print for the outside of my umbrella.


But as usual, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and decided to line my umbrella. There are no instructions for lining the umbrella, but it isn't difficult to do.


Not only is it my favorite color, I love how the fabric gives the feeling of clouds.


I did do the strap so that my umbrella will close completely, but I just love how it looks when the folds are hanging out. Too pretty to just leave in the closet :)


The pattern is from My Little World and you can find the pattern as well as the umbrella frame HERE.


All the notions you will need.


 This is the kit I used for the umbrella frame.


To line the umbrella, rather than serge my seams as the pattern instructs, I pressed my seams open.


I laid the top and lining fabrics together and sewed all around the bottom. Once stitched, I clipped the seam allowance, and then opened one of the seams and turned the fabrics to the right side.   


I have not sprayed the surface of my umbrella to make it waterproof, but I will before using it.

The fabric came from the sweet little shop I have told you about, The Fabric Nook in Granby, Colorado. If by chance you like what I bought, give Tina a call. The bird fabric is from Hoffman Fabrics, New Leaf Stitches. The blue/green fabric is from Moda Fabrics, made in Japan, pattern #30150. If you do order the fabric from Tina, just tell her that it was the fabric that Rhonda purchased, she'll know what you are talking about :)

It was such a fun project, and I can't wait to use my new umbrella. who would have thought I would actually want it to rain?!!!

Here's to April showers :)
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

18 comments:

  1. Rhonda your umbrella is gorgeous, I love it! Thanks for sharing it here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! I absolutely love your umbrella Rhonda. It's so funny...I was just thinking about how wonderful it would be to make my own umbrellas. I use mine a lot here on the west coast of B.C. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An umbrella is a necessity in your neck of the woods! Whatever you decide to make, I know it will bring joy to everyone who encounters you 😊

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It’s almost addicting as they are rather fun to put together 😉

      Delete
  4. Wow! Almost too pretty to use!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda 😊 It will make me smile on a rainy day, and maybe everyone I encounter.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous, I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much! My daughter-in-law's birthday is later this month, and now I know what she's getting from me.

    I hope I can do as nice a job as you did. I'm sure your tutorial and pictures will help. I always learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your umbrella! The fabric is beautiful! I've wanted to do an umbrella since I first started sewing! I think I might give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too pretty to get wet - use it as a Sun shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was just thinking about you yesterday. Met a family from England, but not your city. I am becoming more and more conscious about protecting my skin from the sun, but I think i’ll go ahead and waterproof it as I think it will make me smile on rainy days 😊

      Delete
  9. What a great time we had together yesterday in your April Showers Umbrella Workshop! So many unique and beautiful umbrellas with a great group of ladies. Thank you so much for sharing your time and creativity with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Lady Bug! It’s always fun to help others create something beautiful. 😊

      Delete
  10. So Cool!!!! I want to make this with the fabric you chose for my daughter-in-law for her birthday. I was looking at a picture on her website showing the layout of the pattern. If I make 2, do you think I could get more patterns on the fabric than the pattern calls for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for not getting back to you sooner. You will not be able to get more than 1 umbrella from the fabric requirement. It takes every bit of what is called for.

      Delete