f

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Make a Sewing Caddy

Finding a fun little project that will also enhance your life is just the best! I made up my little sewing caddy and was immediately so happy that I did. Such a wonderful place to store everything you may need while sitting at the machine. My husband even thought it was a great little item.


You will need to cut;
1 rectangle 6 1/2" x 15"
3 rectangles 6 1/2" x 6"
1 rectangle 6 1/2" x 11"

If you would like to quilt your large rectangle, you will also need a piece of batting (I like wool batting the best) 6 1/2" x 15". Quilting the backing for the pockets really makes for a much nicer caddy, so please don't skip this step.

Check out the video below for my how to. Once again, I apologize for my weak voice. I feel a sore throat coming on, so it's a little quivery. 



For those of you who enjoy written instructions;

You will need a 5" x 7" acrylic document frame. I found mine HERE


Cut 1 rectangle 6 1/2" x 15". Back it with a piece of wool batting and quilt it.


Cut 3 rectangles 6 1/2" x 6". Press in half. 


Stack on top of each other leaving 1 1/4" at the top between each layer. To reduce bulk, the top 2 rectangles do not extend to the bottom. 



For the opposite side, cut 1 rectangle 6 1/2" x 11". Fold in half and press. Line up with the edge on the opposite end of the long rectangle. 


Baste the pockets to the large rectangle. Find the center and stitch from bottom to top on the 3 stacked pockets. 
Serge the lower edge to to give it a nice finish. 


Fold the large rectangle in half, fold up the bottom edge and stitch the sides with a 1/4" seam allowance.
Clip the corners and turn. 


And voila, you have a fabulous little caddy!


This little caddy can be made for a multitude of things, a desk organizer, maybe a place to keep paint brushes easily at hand. So get those creative juices going and sew up a storm!

Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

12 comments:

  1. This is genius!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Thanks for this😚😚. Hopefully I can find a book stand like this on my island. Such a good idea for near the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. This would be a great gift to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not sure why my comments having been posting to your blog for several weeks 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This came through!!! Maybe it was cyber bugs 😊

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the instructions for this little caddy. I saw it in time to make three of them - one for me and two for door prizes for my sewing guild's workshop weekend. They were a big hit with the winners. Thanks again and to the lady who inspired you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love mine and now wonder how I lived without it! So happy that you were able to use the instructions to pass on a little joy 😊

      Delete
  6. Rhonda, this is fantastic! I watched the you tube video and am now circling back to the blog. I need at least two of these in the sewing room - serger and sewing machine. I haven't located the stands yet but I'm on the hunt. Thank you every so much for all you share and your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! This will make a great organizer for our quilt show!

    ReplyDelete