f

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Wednesday Showcase

The smallest gesture can have an enormous impact.

My husband and I belong to a ballroom dance club. It's a little on the Downton Abbey side as the men must wear a tuxedo, the women must wear a formal gown. There are dance cards. A woman is never to left alone at a table. I tend to roll my eyes at a few of the rules, but all in all, it's fun, and I enjoy meeting and talking with the other members. 

There are a few couples that I especially enjoy. I had the opportunity to dance with one gentleman that I think is just delightful. As we danced, he mentioned the Christmas card that I sent to he and his wife. He went on to say, "you just don't know how much that meant to us." 

I love sending Christmas cards, but this year was a little difficult. For years now, my husband and I have done picture cards, and my little dog Little Bit typically had a place of honor. 

Poor little dog...one year I found a pair of fabric antlers that I thought I would strap to her head. Then I got the bright idea to take her out to the airport and sit her on the cowling of the airplane as if she were Rudolph leading the sleigh. She had a very different idea about doing this and I ended up having to just hold her in my arms. Over the years, there have been pictures of us hiking, and pictures with special get-ups(a term used in the south for outfits that are rather questionable). It's a miracle that the little dog loved me as much as she did! ;)

I almost talked myself into not sending out cards this past year. But, for me, a card is like a small gift, a gesture to show that I have thought of the person to whom it is sent. And so, as difficult as it was, our simple little card was put together, just the three of us, my husband, Gracie, and me. Little did I know that months later I too would be given a gift.

It's been a few weeks since we've had a Wednesday Showcase post, so we are well overdue!

First up today is Anne of quite simply, Anne's Blog. Unlike many of us, she did not have the opportunity to sew when she was a teenager, but now that she is retired, she has taken on the challenge as an outlet for her hidden creativity. The blog gives her a place to chart her progress. As you'll see below, she has done an incredible job!

Not only did she make her daughter's gown, she also made the bridesmaid's dresses. So lovely.   


This beyond adorable shirt was made for her grandson. This is a shirt that I would like to have in my wardrobe!!!


Anne is so very generous with her time. She even sews for her mom. This was an especially thoughtful gift as her mother is now legally blind, and the fabric was from her stash.


Anne says that she has a very difficult time finding RTW clothes that will fit, so all the more that she wants to sew for herself. She goes into great detail about the changes she makes in her patterns. Here she is pictured in a Cashmerette Concord Tee. The room she is standing in is to die for!!! I would LOVE a garden room like this.



Be sure to pop over and say hi to Anne. I know you'll enjoy getting to know her.

Next up is Claire of Domestic Coquinette. She sews on her dining room table in New York City and creates pieces that anyone would love to have in their wardrobe.

She is especially proud of her "Bombshell" bridesmaid's dress. I think there are a lot of bridesmaids who would be especially jealous of such a beautiful dress! You can read all about her journey to create this dress HERE.  



She copied an Anna Sui dress. Claire's is on the left, and the original on the right. I like Claire's :)



Claire made this beautiful lace dress for her rehearsal dinner. Not a full length picture, but you can see that it is spot on perfect!



Not at all afraid of a challenge, she rubbed off a favorite dress and created this super cute piece for her sister's engagement party.


Claire also enjoys sharing her adventures and travels with those who stop by her blog. She is truly a delight in every way. 

Before I go, I thought I would share something that really made me laugh...


Have a wonderful day!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for showcasing me, Rhonda - it was a (pleasant) surprise to see my photo at the top of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always my pleasure Anne 😊
      I am truly in love with the garden room you have. So beautiful! I bet you spend all of your time there.

      Delete
  2. Has really this dog eaten the wall ? Poor thing he must have been starving !!!! Anyway, wonderfull creations, the pleats and moulage et drapé are very nice, and talking of madame Grès is very thoughfull of you. Who still know about her. Such as madeleine Vionnet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showcasing these ladies ! i love Wednesday Showcase & miss it when it's not there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaryEllen. I think it's a wonderful way for everyone to kinda get to know each other. Like having kindred spirits all over the world 😊

      Delete
  4. Both are talented and prolific sewists! And I absolutely love the lace dress. How fun that you and your husband go ballroom dancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, but even more, I am so grateful that the others put up with us as we are horrible dancers. But, we try 😉

      Delete
  5. Hi Rhonda! So i was wondering why I was getting more follows on my blog and then figured out that you linked to my blog! Wow--what an honor. Especially from someone with your sewing talent. Thank you! Good for you with the ballroom dancing! My parents are also avid ballroom dancers and go to lessons several times a week. In all their years of marriage, I think it's the first time they have shared a hobby. Keep it up! -Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that I was able to send a little extra attention your way 😊
      I wouldn't call our dancing a hobby, we really fumble through, but it's fun nonetheless.

      Delete