f

Monday, March 20, 2017

Monday Morning Inspiration/Shock Wave

While I was in Denver, I had the opportunity to go to the Denver Art Museum and see a wonderful exhibit on Japanese designers who began a fashion revolution during the 1980s and 90s.  The exhibit is entitled Shock Wave. It was fascinating and I found it quite interesting as to how many of the pieces are still relevant to today's fashion.

Since I enjoyed it so much, I thought you might as well. There are 70 pieces in the collection, so it's a fairly large exhibit. I'm showcasing just a few of my favorites.

Loved this simple piece, basically just rectangles.




The gathered neckline on this dress made for the most attractive and feminine design.


Structure and drape combined.


From Rei Kawakubo, bias dress with matching gloves. Spring/Summer 1994  



This is a very different piece, but interesting and inspiring. From Commes des Garcons, entitled, "Body Meets Dress, Dress Meets Body." The sections and drape of the skirt is especially interesting. 



Loved this pieced and structured bustier.



Interesting tweed suit. I really liked the sleeve detail.
  

From Issey Miyake. Pleated fabric with a play on stripes. Beautiful.


There was a section devoted to pleat detail. While the shirt is interesting, I so wished I could have captured the skirt, but the lighting was just too dark.



This skirt was paired with a different shirt. Take note of the tie that is attached to the waistline of the skirt and then wraps around the waistline. This is a fairly heavy skirt, so the tie helps to hold the skirt in place. Love the pocket detail.


From Issey Miyake. Spring/Summer 1989. What caught my eye was the amazing sleeve.


This dress has the feel of a kimono, but given a modern twist with the neckline and sleeves.



And finally, I just couldn't take enough pictures of this dress. From zippers, to buckles, to drapes, so much inspiration.


The exhibit runs through May 28, 2017, so if you are in or near Denver, I highly recommend the exhibit.  

Hope you enjoyed this little taste!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. They let you take photos! Thank you! The big Future Beauty show in Seattle (full of japanese design goodness) did not allow that. Furious sketching. So many good ideas, not enough of them in the book for the show.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little shocked as well! I asked, and they said that as long as I didn't use a flash, it was ok. The book for the exhibit was very lacking. Very little of what was in the exhibit was in the book, so I didn't purchase it. But I was so happy about being able to take pictures as I could then share them 😊

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as exciting as being there, but at least it's a taste 😊

      Delete
  3. Some lovely stuff here, and it's great eye candy. Mostly unwearable though.... I say that because I have an elder sister who lives in Miyake and Yamamoto and comme des garcons - she's tall and dramatic and can take it. I'm not short - 5'6" - but she gave me a jacket very similar to the fourth from the top, and I have tried to wear it so many times. It's almost knee length and the drape praactically touches the floor. It's too short for the shape to wear as a coatdress, IMO, but I don't like it over pants or skirt - I've tried with the pleats please stuff she's given me, with simple pants and long straight skirts, and with leggings, and they all look awful. ended up giving it back to her. Pity as it was lovely wool (unlike all the synthetic stuff of the pleats please which is cold in winter and hot in summer) and beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Rhonda, clearly not all of us can get to Denver! Lots of gorgeous features here.

    ReplyDelete