f

Thursday, November 27, 2014

In All Things Give Thanks



Today, as many of you know is Thanksgiving in America. It's a rather interesting holiday as it basically revolves around a big meal. But it also serves as a day for us to count our blessings and think of all the things that we have to be grateful for.
Over the last few days, like many, I have thought quite a bit about my blessings and all that I have to be thankful for. In light of my recent diagnosis, I have begun to think of my blessings in a much different manner than I ever have before. When I was told that I may have cancer in both eyes and that I may lose my eyesight, my world came crashing down around me. Initially I felt that all I love would be taken from me. So much of what I do would no longer be possible. Then the thought occurred to me, if someone were to ask me what I love to do most, I would not even need to contemplate the answer. Quite simply, I love to write, and in the event that I were to lose my eyesight, I can still write.
The more I have thought of my love to write, I have also thought of what I have had the opportunity to see. As a child I laid in fields and watched the clouds as they bounced and floated about, giving me the pleasure of deciding what they had created. I also laid out at night and watched stars dance and shoot across the navy blue sky, putting on the most spectacular light show. I was honored to have the opportunity to watch a young bird take it's maiden flight out of the nest. I marveled at its first wobbly flight and its rather bumpy first landing. All along, the mother flew near by, but allowed the young bird room to grow and learn from the experience, preparing it for the life it would lead without her. As for flying, I too had the opportunity to experience the magic of a first flight as I lifted off the ground alone for the first time having only God to share in my exuberance. I've seen the magnificent colors of a sunset across a Nebraska sky and the dark foreboding  clouds of an approaching gulf coast hurricane. I've experienced the beautiful smile of a dog as they ran free along a trail. I've seen the magnificent beauty of a whale popping out of the depths of the ocean, flinging its tail high in the air, dolphins playing in the waves and a shark skim the surface of the water. In short, I have seen. My blessings have been great. My blessings ARE great!
Blessings may change as we go through our life, but I believe that when one blessing is no longer there, another is given. We just need to look, maybe not with our eyes, but with our hearts.
May all our days be a day of Thanksgiving.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

12 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I so appreciate your honesty and openness to share what you're going through. I love the images you painted in this post. You've helped me feel grateful for all I have. And I'm grateful to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Rhonda. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia, but I think we embrace it with Christmas celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great holiday, Rhonda. Blessings to you and yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, I'm so sorry to hear of this terrible news. I had no idea! You're such a treasure... to all of us that are inspired by your words and to me, personally, who is thankful for your friendship. I'm so very grateful that our paths crossed! If there is ANYTHING that I can do, please let me know. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. Thank you for reminding all of us to consider our own blessing. And Happy Thanksgiving! (We Canadians celebrated our Thanksgiving last month but we're grateful that pumpkin pie can still be found in the stores. Well, at least I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have seen wonderful things that live in your mind and heart. Thank you for sharing some of them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words have been a blessing to me today. Thank you! Give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good; His mercy endures forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that I can say that we're all thankful for knowing you, Rhonda. You inspire us all on so many levels. May you continue to have joy from writing and more for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful perspective, Rhonda. I agree with Bunny; I am thankful to know you and that my family had an opportunity to meet you as well. You are a giving soul, and always inspiring! Speaking of which, I loved your FFPF Cape so much, I am about to make one this morning. Thank you for the inspiration, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea :)
      That cape will be perfect for a cool Florida evening :)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing such beautiful sentiments -- a lovely and inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Rhonda, wishing you the very best. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete