f

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Winter Coat Part 2

So many of you seemed to enjoy the coat inspiration post I did yesterday. I'm so happy that you did! One coat seems to have stood out to a number of you because of the collar.
It is a very pretty collar.
You may remember the outfit I did for the Passion For Fashion contest I participated in 2 years ago. The collar is bigger, but basically the same principle.

I have a vintage coat that I've had for some time that also has a similar collar.
 This collar is basically a very large shawl collar as you can see when it is opened up.
But here's what I love. To obtain the shaping, there are a series of darts all around the collar. Beautiful.
 The collar is actually hand sewn to the back of the coat.
This collar is rather over the top, but the collar on the white coat is very sensible and pretty. I will be more than happy to do a tutorial on drafting the collar. Let me know if this is something you would like to see. The perfect coat pattern for the white coat would be the Sewaholic Robson coat. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. I would love to see a tutorial on this collar. But how can one pick a favorite? They all are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! We'll do the collar on the white coat as I think it's the most wearable and it's a great starting point for anyone who would like to take it a little farther.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see a tutorial on how to do this lovely collar! I also loved the mustard coat you led with on yesterday's post. So feminine and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I specifically like the white coat collar because it is original and quite attractive. Great for women with short hair to wear during cold blustery days. Your tutorials are always so well written. Another one would be most welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the collar on the white coat. I have a vintage cashmere coat from which the original fur collar has been removed, and I'd love to create a new collar for it from a complementary fabric. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might also consider Burda7092. I used this pattern this summer for my daughters wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna Wintour wore a suit with a version of this collar once. Very flattering. Hers was in a silver lame looking fabric and much fuller. I'd like to know how it is done, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Marsha's comment about the white coat's collar being great for women with short hair. Add to that a long neck and windy days and that collar is looking better and better in my eyes! As 365 Dresses mentioned I think it is a style that will also transition really nicely into dressier suit or evening coat. I can't wait for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, yes PLEASE I want the white coat and THAT COLLAR ! I would be thrilled to see a tutorial for drafting the collar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda,

    I was in your Sleeves on Saturday class at The American Sewing Expo, thought the information you shared with us is relevant to my current sewing and hope you will return next year doing an all day workshop.
    You created the blue cocktail pant suit? I remember the judges struggled to select a winner and from an audience stand point, your creation was the favorite! By the way, I won the Baby Lock Symphony sewing machine that year.
    Smiles,
    Martha W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha! So glad you enjoyed the class. It was great to have have you :) Yes, I did the blue outfit. It did win the audience choice award in a hands down vote which made me very happy. Are you still enjoying your machine?

      Delete