f

Thursday, July 30, 2015

My Portside Travel Collection Makes The Cover!

I was so excited when I found out that the bags I made for the upcoming Sew News Sew Along made the cover of the magazine. What an honor! The bags are the Portside Travel Collection from Grainline Studio. 
I thought I would share a few of the pictures that I took in preparation of the article. The bags were a blast to put together. The fabric that I used was purchased at The Needle Shop in Chicago. I have had someone inquire about the fabric, so I went to the website and sadly, I didn't find it. The sew along will not begin until sometime in September. In the next week, I will pop over to the store and ask the owner if by chance the fabric is still available. If it is, I'll be sure to let you know. Check out the website though as there are a number of fabrics that would be fabulous for this collection. 
The dopp bag and the bottom of the duffle were done in a faux crocodile embossed leather. Be sure to check out the home dec department at your local fabric store as they are now carrying some great faux leathers.
I had some turquoise and coral on hand, so I made little zipper pulls.
The dopp bag is fully lined. It also features a great side pocket for combs, or any other flat items that you might like to easily find.
The set also features a travel pouch. I recommend making more than 1. The pouch is great for passports, cords, or even delicate things that might get snagged in your bag.
When preparing for the set, I found this great webbing for the handles and straps.
And I was able to pull it all together with black hardware. For those of you in America, the webbing and the black hardware came from Joann's Fabrics.

The duffle bag is very roomy. Once I finished it, I thought I would check out just how much I could get in the bag. Believe it or not, it will hold a week's worth of clothes. But....if you are like me and take 10 pairs of shoes for a five day trip, it might be a little tight ;)  
The duffle also features a side pocket on either side of the bag, great for stashing your boarding pass. 
If you would like to purchase a paper pattern, you can find it HERE on the Sew News website. If you prefer a PDF pattern, you can find it HERE on the Grainline Studio website.
Hope to have you join me in September for the sew along. I think it's going to be especially fun!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

16 comments:

  1. Oh how fabulous! the Cover! Congratulations!! and very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a fabulous and chic set of luggage! Congratulations on the cover!!! And what sweet serendipity for you to post today! Just last night I was surfing the net looking for patterns for travel bags! I've been shopping around looking for a carry-on that converts to a backpack, and was musing over sewing my own. Seeing how beautiful yours is motivates me even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats - this has peeked my internest for my first sew a long - thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bags are a lot of fun to put together.

      Delete
  4. That is a stunning set of luggage, Rhonda! It deserved the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shams :) I can't wait to start using it!

      Delete
  5. Love it! This is just gorgeous. The zipper pulls are just a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! The pieces are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bags look great, and very useful. Well done on being on the cover - you should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Rhonda. You really could travel in style with those pics, they are gorgeous. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fantastic! No wonder the set made the cover, it is gorgeous :)
    I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great bags, I love them! I would love to sew a bag but I only have a regular home sewing machine. Do you use a special heavy duty machine for bags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No need for a heavy duty machine. I use a regular home sewing machine.

      Delete
  11. These are all gorgeous and you are THE master of faux leathers! Would love to know your tricks. Beautiful work, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your bags! You are definitely making me want my own now:)

    ReplyDelete