f

Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Sunday Hello

I'm having a glorious summer!!! I have not been doing a lot of sewing, very little as a matter of fact, but I thought I would share a little of the fun I've been having. 
A few weeks back, my husband and I went to St. Louis, Missouri to attend the an opera festival put on by the St. Louis Opera Theater. It was wonderful! One of the operas that we saw was so well done, but so very dark. It made me appreciate even more the fact that as a woman, I was born at the time I was, and in America. The opera is based on the book entitled Emmeline. It's a gripping story and even if you don't care for the opera, the story would be worth the read.
While we were in St. Louis, we decided to check out the sculpture park. I love sculpture parks! There's something so special about experiencing art in an outdoor setting. If you are ever in Minneapolis, by all means, check out their sculpture park, it's incredible. We also have a lovely park here in Chicago. I really enjoyed the St. Louis park. Here are a few of the pieces that I thought were especially interesting.
This eye was actually in downtown Chicago for a while. Nice to see it in a less urban setting.  
This massive piece was made from recycled oil tanks.
 Ocean buoys lined the path.
 I've forgotten now, but I think this piece had something to do with sugar. My apologies to the artist.
 I loved this pagoda.
As we walked along the path, we came upon this tree with the cutout seat, so we took a picture. As always, my dogs are more interested in the hike than taking a picture :)
As I said, I have done a little sewing. Three are pictured, but I made 5 bears in total. I think they are so precious. Isn't it interesting how they can all be made by the same person, in the same fabric, and the same pattern, but each as a little different personality?  Lincoln Park Zoo had their annual Zoo Ball this past Friday. I made the bears to help decorate the silent auction tables.
Here's one of my little guys in action. The theme of the ball this year was Arctic Blast and the polar bear was  the logo.
Two of my friends were over yesterday afternoon and wanted to know what I wore. They were quickly disappointed when I told them that I did not make my dress this year. Horror of horrors!!!! But.....look....could a gown be any more appropriate??? I literally found the gown by accident on Etsy. I'll tell you a little more about the dress and the designer in another post.  
Here I am in the gown. It was a lovely evening, and I really enjoyed the dress as well.
Hope you are having a lovely summer!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

25 comments:

  1. You look stunning! Adorable bears for a worth wild cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane :) Lincoln Park Zoo is one of just a few free zoos left in the U.S.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it is fun to buy something to wear. The dress is lovely - a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous gown! You are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and appropriate dress. I believe the St Louis Zoo is also free and one of the best in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      The St. Louis zoo is also 1 of the last free zoos. Hopefully I'll have the chance to visit the next time I'm there.

      Delete
  5. What an AWESOME dress!!! You did really good finding that, and of course, you look gorgeous in it. The little bears are precious. I remember making stuffed Christmas trees one year for tables at a Christmas dinner at our church. I must have made a dozen of them. At the end of the dinner, all the trees were surprisingly auctioned off to the attendees and the money was given to me as I had paid for all of it.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy :)
      How lovely of the people at your church to realize the value of your gift.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are enjoying the summer. Your dress was perfect for the zoo event. And your bears were cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger. The Bears were a lot of fun to make.

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a gorgeous dress! You are allowed to wear things that you did not make. :) I LOVE sculpture parks!!! Thanks for letting me know about this one in St Louis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever come to Chicago, we have one that you can bike through.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful dress, you look fabulous in it. The bears are cute. Hope you had a great time. We have a sculpture park near Edinburgh called Jupiter Art land. I am yet to go but it is supposed to be great. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory about sculpture parks is that once you go, you'll be hooked!!

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous dress! At first look it's a dramatic swirl of black and white and then, your eye translates it. What a perfect frock for a Zoo event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! It was a lot of fun to wear.

      Delete
  10. No matter hand created or purchased, you look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been to the sculpture park in Minnesota via my sis in St. Paul.
    Your dress is stunning and perfect for the event.

    ReplyDelete