f

Saturday, September 19, 2020

The Tale of Two Tops

A few weeks ago, I posted the dress I made using the Islander Sewing Systems Easy V Express Top. I was very happy with how it translated into a dress.  

A number of you asked about the pattern, and the difference/similarity between the Islander pattern and the Presto Popover Top from Naughty Bobbins Patterns.




While both patterns look similar, there are some very different details to each pattern. The Easy V Express Top has a set in pleat in the back neckline. Look closely at the picture above and you'll see the pleat detail. 

You can easily see that pleat in the picture below.  


The Naughty Bobbins Presto Popover Top does not have the set in pleat. 


For the picture, I left the neckline standing, but once on the body, it will crush and drape a bit, depending on the fabric that is used.


The Presto Popover Top is much more form fitting. It is also has a fully lined front bodice.

The Easy V Express Top is softer. The front bodice is not fully lined, but has a fold back facing. The Express Top is also a much more forgiving fit. In other words, not form fitting. 
  

Both are great patterns, with easy to follow instructions. Both patterns go together very quickly. I can't say that I have a favorite, I like both and the subtle differences. One thing to keep in mind is that since the Presto Top has a fully lined front bodice, it does take more fabric. One of the reasons I chose the Presto Top for the white version is that it is fully lined.  

I hope that has answered some of your questions. If you have more, please leave a message and I will do my best to answer. 

Until next time...
Keep Sewing :)
Rhonda




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. I especially like the Presto Popover top because of that fully lined front. I can use those lightweight knits that would otherwise be too clingy. Thank you, Rhonda, for the comparison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fully lined front makes it super easy to sew up too! You gave me an idea..use a lace over a knit for the front. Thanks for making my mind percolate this morning :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for such a wonderful comparison and review, Rhonda! I may be a bit biased (ahem!), but I do have a soft spot for the Presto!
    Rock on!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SHOULD have a soft spot ;), it's a great pattern!!! Did you see that my mind got spurred to do a top with a lace topper rather than than self-lining the top. Can't wait to get it made!!!

      Delete