f

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Something Sweet on Sunday/An Orange Cake to Die For

Back before Christmas, I received the weekly email from Kevin Lee Jacobs. That particular week, he showcased a boiled orange cake that uses the entire orange. Yes, the peel and all!!! I was intrigued! As it turns out, the basic recipe is quite old. He changed up the original recipe a bit by using almond flour, so it's gluten free.

Begin by boiling 2 oranges for at least an hour. Boiling them for a little longer really helps to reduce the bitterness of the orange  peel. Once boiled, just quarter them and then place them in a food processor and puree. 


As usual, I can't leave well enough alone. After I made the first cake, I decided to dress it up a bit with a slivered almond crust. Once the pan has been buttered and floured, sprinkle on a layer of slivered almonds.


I did add 1 other ingredient, and that was 1/2 cup of  shredded coconut. Love it!!!


Cook the cake as directed, place it on a serving plate, and dust with powdered sugar. As you can see, I was quite generous with the powdered sugar. 


The cake is moist, sweet, tangy, and most of all...DELICIOUS! I served the first cake that I made at a dinner party with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Everyone loved it. The second cake was not only eaten as a dessert, but for breakfast too! Why not? ;) 

You can find the recipe HERE

It's a cake that can be frozen and served at a later date. I have 6 oranges in the refrigerator that I have already boiled. Such a great way to use up oranges before they go bad. 

Enjoy!
I know you will!!!
 Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. That looks really good. I will give it a try with your additions. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this recipe....I lost mine and have been looking for replacement. Greetings from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful. I happen to have four oranges in the fridge and am going to give this a go. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try this. I use the whole lemon when I make lemon bars and they are sooo good that way. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you soooo much for introducing us to an amazing blogger! I would never have found Kevin's incredible site if you had not posted the orange cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a very similar recipe, only with clementines. Naval oranges have the advantage of being seedless, though, so you don't have to worry about making sure you find them all before throwing them in the food processor.

    Recently I tried this recipe substituting 1 1/2 cups baked acorn squash for the clementines, substituting 1/2 cup maple syrup for sugar, and adding apple pie spice (you could also add pumpkin pie spice). It was delicious! I like my desserts, so I'm always looking for ways to use healthier ingredients. Whole fruits, vegetables, nuts and less sugar fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete