f

Saturday, March 30, 2019

One Nice Thing A Day


Life throws us what seems to be a curve ball, and then we find out that the ball was thrown on purpose to teach us a lesson, maybe just one, and sometimes, many. 

As the last 6 weeks have passed since I broke my wrist and had the subsequent surgery, I've had a LOT of time to think. One thing that became very apparent to me was that even in such a predicament, I was putting others first, and sadly, at my own expense. What ended up happening was those "others" thought nothing of what I was going through, and only of themselves. I was deeply hurt, but then I realized that there was a lesson to be learned.

Somehow, we can get caught up in thinking that if we do nice things for ourselves, we are being selfish. The act of being selfish only comes about when one thinks ONLY of themselves. Being good to ourselves, making time for what we need, and what will bring joy into our lives is not about being selfish, but about nurturing. I think too that it can send a message to others, that we value ourselves. After all, how can we expect others to value us if we don't value our lives, our time, our health? And then too, there are times when doing what's right for us is saying that all too difficult word...no. How is it that the word "no" is one of the first words a child learns to say, and say easily, then over time, becomes one of the hardest words to say?

After the surgery, I was unable to wash my hair, and I knew that if my husband did it, well, it wouldn't be good. He is a precious man, but he is not a hairdresser ;) I had asked him to help me pull my hair up so I could wash my face. OMG!!!, I thought he was going to pull the hair out of my head. For those of you who have, or have had small children who fussed and cried when you tried to brush their hair, well, that was me. I sent him to the store to buy hair clips that I could use to pull my hair back with my left hand. I also decided that I would go and have my hair washed and blown dry. What a gift that was. I only went once a week, but truly, a gift. 

Whatever was used to sterilize my skin before the surgery wrecked havoc on my skin and nails. I couldn't do my nails, so I decided to make an appointment and have them done. What a gift, and how it lifted my spirit.

April 1st has always marked, at least for me, a time of new beginnings. This year that is especially true. April 1st will mark 6 weeks since the surgery, and it will be a bit of a graduation day for me. If all goes well, and I think it will, I was told that the surgeon will allow me to stop sleeping with the brace. Then, I should only have 2 more weeks of wearing it during the day. WooHoo!!! 

I've decided that as April 1st rolls around that I will give myself a challenge, do one nice thing a day for myself. As I thought more about my little challenge, I thought that maybe you too might like to join me. Doing something nice for yourself does not need to cost anything, and then, it might be splurging on something like getting a massage, or having a facial. Doing one nice thing a day doesn't need to take a lot of time. It could be something as simple as making a cup of tea and sitting down to read a chapter in a book that you have been longing to read. 
Two things to keep in mind;
It's something that you are being consciously aware of, not the normal things we do each and everyday, like take a shower and getting dressed. 
It is something special, something that will bring a bit of joy into your life.  

Here are a few ideas, a few things that I will be doing;

*Listen to a podcast  
*Finish that Blueprint class you signed up for ages ago
*Go for a walk
*Take a bubble bath
*Get a manicure
*Buy a bouquet of flowers, just for you!
*Make a commitment to be good to your skin
*Grab your cell phone, go for a walk and take pictures of flowers 
*Go to bed early one night, like...really early!
*Put on some music that you love and dance!
*Go to a coffee shop and buy your favorite drink
*Be conscious of everything you eat for 1 day
*Get a facial

I would love to hear your ideas for something special, something that will bring a bit of joy into your day. 

Beginning April 1st, I will be posting a picture of my one special thing for that day on Instagram. You are welcome to follow along if you would like. I know that not everyone is on Instagram, so my plan is to do a recap here on the blog on Fridays.

I think this will be a bit of a journey, a time of discovery, and most likely a challenge as it is so easy to allow life to happen, leaving us with barely enough time to breathe. A thought just occurred to me...maybe one day during the month, we just set aside a few minutes to sit quietly and breathe :) 

I hope that a few of you will join me. Who knows what it might mean in your life?!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

16 comments:

  1. what a lovely idea, I think I will join you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this challenge and especially the aspect of nurturing, taking care of ourselves.
    I would add a couple of ideas to your list - cooking my favorite, healthy foods; calling a friend just to chat and catch up; going to a movie; go window shopping for inspiration; get a foot massage. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mention you are on instagram but I see no link to your account nor an address where to find it. More info, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Instagram address is Sewbussted. Thanks for reminding :)

      Delete
  4. Nice idea. AC has some good ones too. April is my birthday month so perhaps I will start celebrating early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a timely post. I have been trying to get my daughter to slow down. We have a five acre "ranch".She works as a barn manager and "gofer" for a wonderful family. She also thinks she needs to do it ALL. She had an episode of some sort last night, which was bad enough for her to call me at 1 AM, this morning, which has prompted me to text her later today about slowing down and pacing herself and realizing that the world will not explode if she doesn't get it all done yesterday. Also, that she could become sick and not be able to work if she keeps up this pace. I am going to share your post with her today...IF I can get her to sit still for just a moment! Thank you for your word. I am joining you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, you are a joy! Everytime I read your posts, you teach me more than I can say. Thank you for the inspiration. Glad you are on the mend and treating yourself to all you deserve. Regina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rhonda,

    I enjoyed this post, your reflections and positive actions. Have thought about you a number of times since I heard you broke your wrist. I hope the healing continues and you soon have your hand in use again.

    I'll be thinking about your positive actions as we move into April–I'm starting a full load of teaching tomorrow, 4 classes. As April is also National Poetry Month I'm hoping to fit in a poem and perhaps a sketch per day–for me that would be time to myself. Looking forward to seeing some of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holding you in the Light for your wrist healing and recovering!

    This April project is a beautiful thing that I welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post - I am in. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea ! It will take concscous thought on my part ! But a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea. I was just telling my husband how I feel like I put everyone ahead of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your comments are a reflection of what happened to me. Everyone else first, me second. I thought others thought as I did, kindness first. It's not always so. I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks when I realized how wrong I was. Now, much help and counseling later, I'm better. You're on the right track, let's take care of ourselves with the kindness we show others. Get better soon, love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Rhonda,
    How true that we feel guilty for doing something for yourself. For me sewing or knitting something for myself brings such joy but often I push it aside to meet others needs.
    This is a wonderful idea!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea ! I'm getting that much needed pedicure and going to actually sew something for MYSELF !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taking care of yourself is essential and hope that you are feeling better soon. I am going to take your advice and try to do something for myself everyday that is fun. Best wishes for your recovery. You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete