f

Friday, March 8, 2019

Broken Bones

Life has a way of taking twists and turns that we never expect.

I love everything about winter, winter sports, like snowshoeing and skiing, fires in the fireplace, wearing layers of clothing, wearing fabulous knitted items that I've made over the years, snow covered mountains, and the list goes on. But, this year, winter decided not to like me.

Three weeks ago, I went out to ski. It was a gorgeous day, bright sunshine, and the temperatures just right for optimum snow conditions. It was a quiet day on the hill, virtually no one around, my first run of the day, and I was feeling great. Then suddenly, my ski caught, on what I don't know, and the next thing I knew, I was tumbling down the hill. My husband was behind me. He said that I tumbled at least five times. I can remember thinking, "why am I not stopping?" I lost my skis, poles, and my googles even snapped off of my helmet. Then, my head slammed into the hill. Thankfully, I was wearing a helmet. Had I not been, I may not be writing today.

Once I came to a stop, my first thought was to get up, but I couldn't. The fall had really knocked the wind out of me. My body ached, and my head hurt. After a minute or so, I was finally able to roll over and sit up. A mountain host skied over and asked if I was okay. I said that I was. She wanted to call for the ski patrol to come with a snowmobile and take me down the mountain. I refused. Then my husband skied over with all of my lost equipment. She asked if he was with me, he said yes. Had I been alone, I think she would have insisted that I ride down rather than ski down. As she skied away, I looked up at my husband and said, "I just want to cry." But, I got up, got into my skis, skied down to the lift which I had to take in order to ultimately get to the bottom. Every muscle in my body shook, but by the time I made it to the final run to the bottom, my confidence returned. We went into the medics office where I was checked for a concussion. My husband was told that I should not be left alone for 24 hours, given a list of things to watch for, and I was told not to ski for at least 7 days. 

Somehow, I scraped up my face during the fall, and I could feel that my lip was swelling, so I popped into the restroom. As I was walking out to find my husband, a young guy called out, "ma'am, ma'am, are you okay?" Having just come from the medics office, and told of the possible things that would indicate a concussion, I wondered what I had done to alarm him. So I asked if I had stumbled. He said no, but that he and his friends were on the lift above me when I took the fall. He said. "it was violent!!!" He went on to say that they all felt so bad because they could do nothing to help me, then he added, "I just can't believe that you are actually walking."

By the next morning, everything that could hurt, hurt. I had pulled my leg muscles, groin muscles, neck muscles, abdominal muscles. Well, if it was a muscle, it hurt! I decided to just make the best of it, take it easy, and allow my body to heal. Or, so I thought...

The fall happened on a Tuesday. That Saturday, four days later, I took the dogs out for a walk, slipped on some ice, and broke my wrist. My husband had left for a quick out of town trip, so I was alone. When I fell, the muscles in my legs, groin, and abdomen were re-injured. If took everything I had just to get myself up. My wrist hurt like crazy, but I thought I could just shake it off, surely it was just bruised. I got a hold of the dogs, took about five steps, and knew that something was terribly wrong. 

I called a friend who dropped everything and rushed over to get me. I was able to catch my husband just before he boarded the plane. When we got to the hospital, I was immediately taken in. The nurse helped me get my coat off, and when he saw my arm, he said, "oh my!," and took a deep breath. My arm was pointed in one direction, and my hand in the opposite direction. I had actually broken both of the large bones that run from the wrist to the elbow.

This is me 3 hours later.  


I was told that due to the nature of the break, I would need surgery. Fortunately, they were able to get me in on Monday. I am now the proud new owner of a plate and matching screws that now hold my wrist in place ;)

At this point, I am 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery. The cast is off, but I have a brace that I will have to wear for another 6 weeks. The week of the surgery was incredibly difficult. I was in so much pain. I couldn't even stand the effort of getting in the bed. Since I had re-injured my muscles, any movement was almost more than I could stand, so I slept on the sofa. 

On a sweet note...
One night I awoke and felt a little body snuggling in around my legs. Somehow, Berkley had managed to get out of the bedroom and make his way to me.      


He and Gracie have been my constant companions :) 

When I fell and broke my wrist, my first thought was, "why did this have to happen?" Since then, I have thought often of the verse, "In all things give thanks."  This happened for a reason, not sure why, but in time, I will. 

Throughout this entire ordeal, I have had many blessings, a friend who was so calm under pressure, an incredibly attentive hospital staff, being able to get into surgery so quickly, sweet dogs to comfort me, and a husband who has been so understanding and helpful. Not being able to use my right hand has been an incredible learning experience, and humbling as well.

At my last rehab visit, the therapist had me hold a pair of scissors. I was told that I could begin to sew as long as I leave the brace on, and use my left hand to pick up fabric, etc. Each day I am feeling a little more like myself.

I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!
Thanks for dropping by! :)
Rhonda    



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

49 comments:

  1. Heal quickly! Hugs from Derbyshire, england

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda- I'm so sorry to read this post; what an awful set of accidents. I am glad that you well enough to begin to think about a sewing- which can be such a comforting activity. Sending lots of love and hugs through the internet- xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Rhonda. I’m so sorry to hear about your injuries. I agree that we find out more about ourselves and others in times like what you’re going through. We learn about incredible friends and even strangers who care. And the love of family and our beloved fur babies. I wish you a speedy recovery, but don’t push yourself too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, boy have you been through the ringer! I am a constant reader of your blog and an avid sewer and tailor. Get well soon, i too have broken bones in my hands and its a bummer for sure. But you are blessed with a understanding husband,two precious doggies and good friends. Get well soon and give yourself time to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rhonda, the last month surely has been a struggle for you. So glad your spirit is in tact. Bones and muscles can heal - it takes time but sounds like you are on your way. Rest, heal and be patient, all will be okay ! So now you can do your sewing dreaming. Use your phone to record what you are thinking and soon you can bring those dreams to a reality. So glad you are back !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is quite the story, best wishes to you, hope you will feel like your old self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry you had so many injuries! It just seems apparent that through all of this you managed to keep your positive attitude. Do take care of yourself and don't rush the recovery. I am looking forward to your next post.
    God Bless You
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two and a half weeks out of surgery and you can hold scissors? That’s a miracle. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silver lining: It is an opportunity to learn to hand with your non-dominant hand. There us something soothing about hand stitching and it is useful to be able to go in both direction (I've tried purling 'backwards' on when knitting on circular needles)
    ...and now you have time to surf the web for some of your FABULOUS inspiration posts

    Glad you were able to reach your husband-I live in fear of falling and getting stuck
    Heal well

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhonda, I'm not usually a commenter, but am a long time reader. I am always impressed at your generosity in posting frequently. I hope you are surrounded by generous people to support you in your recovery, it sounds as if you are, and you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, you really got nailed! Here's hoping that the rest of your recovery goes quickly and smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear of all that has happened. Best wishes for your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry about your accidents! Hope you have quick healing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rhonda--Speadiest of recoveries to you! Knowing how creative you are, you will be a left-handed whiz very soon. I wonder if you will please share some of your creative workarounds while you are healing? My dear friend and sewing buddy had a stroke which permanently disabled her right (and dominant) hand along with all the usual miseries of very poor memory, speech etc. Our sewing group would appreciate any ideas that you come up with that allow you to sew with only one hand. She has good foot pedal control and can steer her fabric thru the machine. Everything else requires someone's help.

    Thank you! I am so glad you have your furry nurse's aides watching over you.
    Lisa D

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOODNESS! I've been missing your posts and hoped all was well. Now I know better--all was not well, but, as you have said, you have many blessings to count. All could have been worse and when things happen, I try to be thankful that it was something that can be fixed, repaired, etc. even tho it still presents a hardship. I am sorry you have had a rough go of it, but thankful that you will be well before too long! Hugs and doggie licks from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blimey that was quite a week. Hope you're well on the mend soon. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a veteran of 2 knee replacements, the second of which was in December, I want to say how interesting pain is. I believe that having experienced pain, we are more empathetic--pain teaches respect, for the miracles we daily experience, and the miracles that allow our bodies to heal from terrible injuries. Respect and gratitude. I wish you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I was so scared reading this! I have done all these things, but not within days of each other! The pain must have been terrible. I'm so glad you're through the worst of it now. Thank you for posting to let us know how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending warmest wishes to a lovely lady and a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adding to the many 'Get well soon' wishes that you are surely receiving daily Rhonda.

    You've been through a lot physically and emotionally as well. Take time for yourself and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  21. so sorry to hear this! Hope you heal well and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yow! Glad things are starting to turn around for you. Time to rest, soak up all the love from others you can, and binge watch sewing videos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sending you get well wishes and a speedy recovery! So sorry to hear about your accidents, take time to heal and you will be as good as new in a couple of months. When I was laid up after surgery I watched a lot of sewing videos and couldn't wait to get back to what I love to do. Glad you are on your way to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hugs and prayers for recovery. I’m glad you are healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to hear this happend to you. Last week I thought: I haven't read a post from Rhonda for some time and wondered what might have happend, now I know. Best wishes and hopefully everything will heal well

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my this is something! Hope you grt better soon

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rhonda, dear,

    Sew much to be thankful for!!! Prayers for you!!!

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there Darling Rhonda,
    Just want to wish you a very speedy and uncomplicated recovery - you really have been through it.
    We all cannot wait to hear that our talented and darling friend is back on top form. Love and hugs.xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my, what sad news! prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery. I think it is wonderful how you are being so positive and responding with being thankful in all circumstances. That is so hard to do, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so very sorry to read this, Rhonda. I do hope the pain subsides permanently pretty soon and without much help from pharma. Yes, there is a reason for everything. It will come in time. In the meantime, enjoy the "slow" of it all and take care of yourself. Warm hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Rhonda, thank you for sharing your positive attitude, "in all things give thanks" is so true. I'm happy to hear that you're on the mend and that you have a wonderful support system including Berkley and Gracie. Continue healing and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Father God we touch and agree on one accord that you heal every broken bone in Rhonda's body. May every bone line up it's rightful place and in order. Give her peace in the midst of this trial and let her know that you are with her. She is not alone!!! Dispatch your angels that are waiting for their assignments to bring forth what she ask. Touch the doctor's and nurses that she come in contact with that they may be a blessing to her. Give them wisdom and knowledge to do their job at 100% accuracy. And Lord I ask that she come back 100% whole and fully functioning. I bind up every attack that may try to rise up against this pray and I send it to the abyss until judgement day. In the matchless name of Jesus Christ AMEN and It is So!!!

    "Rhonda Take Up Your Bed And Walk" John 5:8

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well...Thanking God for His Providence, Protection, and Healing. So glad to hear your recovery is going well. Take the time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness, Rhonda! What a story! I am stunned that you have been through all of this. �� Please take good care of yourself, dear friend. ��

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are one tough broad! I am sorry you took such a tumble but then later fall on ice and have so much damage. Glad your friend came to the rescue and so glad your furry friends are keeping watch over you. Hope your recovery continues to be easier and easier.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my gosh Rhonda!! So much to go through in such a short time. Good to hear you're on the mend. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Perhaps you really needed a good rest! So don't hurry back to everything just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. I am sure with all the love that surrounds you, soon you will be back to full strength, having had a few moments to appreciate the fussing and a bit of slow time.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh Rhonda! I so hope you feel better soon, take the time to heal and so horrified at all you have been through!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Three years ago I tripped while crossing a road when a flock of feuding blue wrens flew into my face. I also broke my wrist, both bones protruded out of the skin. I also have the metal plate and pins, I was 64 when this happened. Recovery was slow and painful, but I started sewing and knitting as soon as the cast was removed. My therapist said I had remarkable recovery due to my love and need to make things. I still knitting for about an hour each evening to keep the wrist subtle. If I stop knitting during the heat of summer, I feel stiffness in the wrist return. Good luck and keep knitting and sewing. Marlene Innes Australia

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my gosh Rhonda!!!!! I am so glad you're okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh how scary! So glad you're on the mend. Sending healing thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Rhonda,

    Holding you and your loved ones in the Light!

    ReplyDelete
  44. OH my god § I wish you get well soon

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh, Rhonda. Been there, done that. “Pulverized” (the nuurse’s words) my left wrist in 2012. I’m a professional collaborative pianist. I accompany university voice students and opera or musical theatre students. It happened 20 minutes before an opera performance for 450 students (already seated in the auditorium). Fast forward six weeks - playing like a champ again. My ortho
    Is my hero-for-life (as is the pianist who left her other job and sightread my opera score so the show would go on).

    Two days ago I fell and hurt my knee and, yes, left wrist. (FWIW, I’m pushing 69.) You, of all people, can imagine my relief when the Urgent Care radiologist said my plate and screws were undamaged.

    Girl, you’ve got this. I’m joining you in starting over on April 1st, and will be encouraging my musical theatre students to do the same for themselves. The world is different than when I was in college in the early 70s. We didn’t have the stress levels these kids today have.

    Thanks for sharing your story. Sending you love. Jan

    ReplyDelete