f

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Sunday Brunch/Biscuits Part 2

Treasures. What really constitutes a treasure? For some, it's money. Others value jewels. And then, there are things. All of these can be gone in the blink of an eye, but what can never be taken from us are our memories. Now, true enough, some suffer from debilitating diseases that can destroy the mind, and wipe away memories. But, even then, I think the mind can have moments of remembering. When my uncle was suffering with Alzheimer's, I found it interesting that he could have beautiful moments when he remembered something. Maybe it was just the touch of my aunt's hand. The far away look in his eyes would change, and for a moment, I could see that there was recognition. It was like a small gift to my aunt especially, but I think to him as well.

I thought I would share a few "treasures." In my last biscuit post, I talked about a tiny iron skillet that was mine. When I would visit with my grandmother, this little skillet was for my biscuits, and mine only. In the picture below, you see that tiny little skillet, my grandmother's biscuit cutter, and my great-great grandmother's wooden biscuit bowl. I used it this morning :) My great-great grandmother died at the age of 96 in 1960, so the bowl is quite old. 
  

My grandmother made biscuits each and every morning for breakfast. Her recipe is simple, nothing as elaborate as the Joanna Gaines biscuits. They can be made in a flash. After making the Joanna Gaines biscuits, which were good, but quite a bit of work, I decided to make up my grandmother's recipe and compare. Maybe it's because this is what I grew up eating, but I like my grandmother's the best :)

As I said, the recipe is simple, 
Begin by pouring oil into a cast iron skillet and heating until piping hot. At the same time, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Mix 1 cup of self-rising flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1 tablespoon of oil.


Mix in just shy of 1 cup of buttermilk(between 3/4 and 1 cup). Mix the batter together and place on a floured surface. 

Pat out the dough and cut into 2" or so sized biscuits. Do not over work the dough.


Place the biscuits in the hot oil. Quickly turn the biscuit over, coating both sides with the oil.

Place in oven and bake until golden brown. Approximately 15 minutes.


What I love about placing the biscuits in the hot oil is that you get a crunchy bottom. Yum!


Elvera's Biscuits

ingredients;
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon oil
1 scant cup buttermilk
Extra oil for cast iron skillet

directions;
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Heat at least 2 tablespoons of oil in cast iron skillet until skillet is piping hot. 
Combine flour, baking soda, oil and buttermilk. Place on a floured surface. Sprinkle flour over the top of the dough and pat dough out to about 1/2" thick. Do not over work the dough. 
Cut into 2" biscuits.
Place in hot oil and turn over, coating both sides of the biscuit. Place the skillet in preheated oven. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until biscuits have browned.
Serve piping hot!
_____________________________

I have the sweetest memories of my grandmother. I loved how she would sing as she worked. Even under the worst circumstances, she always had a song in her heart.  

As this year draws to  a close, I hope that you will find some lovely memories to reflect upon, and maybe even a sweet song in your heart.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. What sweet memories. I have my great grandmother and grandmother’s biscuit bowl. They are very similar to yours. I used it to make the Christmas morning biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely tradition! There's just something special about cooking with a utensil that a relative used.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to try this recipe. For the life of me, I can not make bread, rolls or biscuits. Even Bisquick biscuits turn out like hockey pucks - but this recipe sounds doable. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete