I can't remember how I found the recipe, but it is from a site called Taste of Home. The tag line is, "best loved recipes from home cooks like you." I haven't taken the time to look around, but it seems that you can submit your own recipes to the site.
The dish looks like a porridge in the photograph, don't be fooled, it's quite hearty and especially aromatic. I did made a few additions. I added tofu, a little more salt and a good bit of black pepper. Some red pepper would also be a nice addition if you like a spicy curry. All in all, a great heartwarming dish for the winter months.
Butternut Coconut Curry
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati or jasmine rice
- In a large skillet, saute carrots and onion in oil until onion is
- tender. Add the brown sugar, curry, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and
- salt. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the butternut squash, broth,
- coconut milk, rice and carrot mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-5
- hours or until rice is tender.
- Yield: 9 servings.
The dish is rather low in calories, only 200 calories per 3/4 cup serving. If you would like to find the recipe, here is a link, http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/butternut-coconut-curry