f

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

Please forgive me, I know it isn't Friday, but I really wanted to pay homage yesterday to Avadner McGlory and her years of design and creativity. And I also wanted to thank Cennetta and Andrea who took a chance on one of my patterns. So rather than post this yesterday, I thought I would just wait until this morning. Hey, I'm already a week late as it is!
So let's get started!
You may remember the Draped Front Ballerina Top we did, wow!, a year ago last December. You can see the post here,  http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2011/12/fabulous-free-pattern-friday_30.html.

And then, based on the same principle, we did the Draped Poet's Blouse last August. This was a top that I wore a lot this past summer. It looks so nice, it's quite breezy, and looks great over a simple pair of tights and a t-shirt. Great for summer dressing. You can see that post here,  http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2012/08/fabulous-free-pattern-friday_17.html.
Today we will once again use the same principle and do a very easy little vest.
The Flipped Over Draped Vest
It is very easy, just 2 rectangles with a casing that rests just under the bust.
Because there is a casing, the sides can be pulled back as you see above or you can pull the fullness together and not have the side open if you wish.
The back is open as you can see better in the photo below,
but if you wish, you could do an edge stitch and stitch the back seam closed.
There is only 1 seam on each panel and that is at the shoulder.
The shoulder seam allowance is stitched down and becomes the casing for the drawstrings.
My vest is made from a rayon faille, so a woven fabric. This can be made from a woven or a knit. It is important to remember that there is a twist at the hem so the back side of the fabric will show. You must use a fabric that looks the same on both sides.
To begin. determine the length that you would like your vest to be. Measure from the top of your shoulder down to your desired length. You will double this measurement and add 5". The reason for adding the 5" is to compensate for the twist at the hem.
Once you have the length of your rectangle determined, you will need to determine the width. Measure around your bust line and multiply this measurement by 2. As an example, if your bust measurement is 40, multiply this by 2 and you will have 80. Divide that measurement by 4 which will be 20. Each    
rectangle will be 20" wide. Although we are only cutting 2 rectangles, we need 20" across the front and 20" across the back on each side.
Cut your rectangle and finish the edges. I just did a rolled edge on mine.
In order to sew the shoulder seam, you will need to twist the fabric. Rather than sewing as we normally do with the 2 right sides together, you will sew the shoulder seam with a right side to a wrong side.
Paper does not twist well, but hopefully this will make sense. Begin with your rectangle,
and twist it so that the right side of one end is laid against the wrong side of the other end. This will form the twist and drape at the lower edge of the vest.
For the drawstring at the shoulders, make a drawstring that is long enough to go through both sides. Thread the drawstring through one side and then down the other. Once you have the drawstrings in the shoulder seams draw them up and tie them. Now try on the vest and mark where the casing should go just under the bust. You will stitch a  separate casing to all 4 sides. Make another drawstring and that is very long. Make it longer than you think you will need and then once you have threaded it through your casings and tied it, you can cut off the extra.
A fun flippin' little vest!
Enjoy!
Rhonda




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

17 comments:

  1. Love it! How do you usually wear it? I'd love to see a picture with your style choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually wear it gathered so you can see what I have on from the side. Most often I wear this with a long sleeve t-shirt and a pair of pants. I need to do a post where I wear the things I have done so that everyone can see how they look on the body. I'll do that in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  2. I hjave so mnay silly sheer fabrics- I think this is a great pattern for those-you are so sweet to do these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheers would be great for this. In fact, I'll do another with sheers that coordinate, but I think I'll do it slightly different. I'll post it in a couple of weeks. Great idea!

      Delete
  3. Rhonda, thank you for this pattern. I love it. I remember making a drawstring top like this but without the twist in the 80's and it brings back so many memories. I love the fabric you used and am going to have to make some time to try this one out. You are a wonderful inspiration and I really look forward to all your blog posts. Best wishes from a cold wet Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda! I was in Ireland about 5 years ago for a July wedding. It was cold and rained everyday except for one. The country was beautiful despite the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooooow! I think I know what I'm going to do with that leftover chiffon fabric I used to make scarves. I was thinking of something with these exact same design lines and now I have a way to make it without worrying too much about being able to execute it all by myself. I think I'll try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would look really cute on you. I hope you do give it a try.

      Delete
  6. Hi Rhonda,

    Thanks for this great and easy tutorial! It looks so beautiful, I am definitely going to make it. I have a question though, if I may ask. Is there just 1 drawstring for both shoulders? And how do you pass it in between the shoulders, maybe you just wear it on the back of the neck. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a separate drawstring for each shoulder. Nothing goes across the back. The only drawstring that goes all the way around the body is at the waist. Good Luck!! Would love to see your creation if you get a chance.

      Delete
  7. thnx for sharing this vest pattern its so easy & cute I would love to wear it w turtle necks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! So pretty and so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello - I just stumbled across this tutorial and love it! In your description above, how many yards of fabric was this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 1/2 yards of 45" wide fabric should be plenty.

      Delete