f

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Keeping a Record

 A few years ago I started keeping a record of the books I read throughout the year. What prompted me to do it was while looking back over the year, my first thought was that I had not accomplished much, and that I had not read anything! :/ But, once I began to really think about the past year, I realized that I had done more than I gave myself credit for.  So, for the last few years, I have kept a record in my yearly planner. I also keep a record of what I've knitted. But, I have not kept a record of what I've sewn. Go figure!!!

So, this year I've decided to not only keep a record of my completed sewing projects, but I've decided to keep a lovely notebook with details about each garment. 

I went online and searched free sewing planners, and found a few that I really like.

The planner that I will most likely go with is from Simple Simon & Company. You can find it HERE.  I like that it's very clean, and detailed enough, but not overly so. 


So far this year, I have completed 3 projects. Trust me, they were all quite simple. I have the swatches on my pages, and I'll get the details filled in later today. I think it's best to do it right away while the project is still fresh in my mind.


Another planner that I found that is quite nice is from Sewing and Quilting Club. With this planner, they have included a notions and accents section where you can just circle rather than having to write out everything. You can find their planner HERE


I also found a wonderful planner from Seamwork,which is free. This planner is based on developing a collection rather than just 1 garment.


There are pages that can be used as a sewing record.


But, if you would like to actually plan a mini wardrobe capsule, the planner will walk you through the entire process. You can find the Seamwork planner HERE
   

I'm really excited about keeping a sewing diary of sorts. I have a feeling that I am in for a learning experience. We'll see!!! :)




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful organization, Rhonda. I have been keeping track of all my sewing for about 15 years now. What works for me is the KISS method. Keep It Simple, and you fill in the blank for the final S! I use a classic black and white notebook and no particular structure other than the date started and the date finished. A blank page is open on my cutting table and I write as I cut and sew. What's fun is seeing these accumulate on the shelf. I think you will really enjoy this record of your work. It's fun to have a place to write down your experience but also when things are frustrating or wonderful and how you actually feel about them. Don't forget that part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike! I just started a notebook myself, after stock piling different planners (Seamwork, Mood Ect) over the last few years. I found one that I really like from Blue Dot patterns (she calls it a Pattern Card). For me its going to be a journey to see what really works for where I'm in life right now. Looking forward to see your journey as well. One page completed and more to come.
    Take care my Texas friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the planner from Mood Fabrics. It’s free and has space for goal setting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great planners. Thank you for all the links. I'll be adapting some of these to my sewing journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea, I'm going to follow your example. Good thing this is January!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I recently remembered that I have failed to remember I keep a record of my makes in the last few months of last year. I have tried so hard for two years to keep it updated and then....
    Maybe it's time to try something different... I like the first one you pointed out, and maybe I could put the empty sheets somewhere easier to see....then a book in the bookshelf

    ReplyDelete