f

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Sunday's Soup/Popeye's Spinach Soup

I can't remember when I first began to post recipes. I guess I could go back and look, but that's really not the point. The reason I began was because of a passion, a passion that families come back together, sit down at the table and share a meal. But, eat not items that are high in fat, and basically not good for us. Now, truth be told, I enjoy sweets, and fried foods just as much as the next guy, but in moderation. I wanted to show that a healthy meal can be easy to cook. I don't know that my goal has been met. I doubt that I ever will. But, I have received notes from some of you that have told me how much you've enjoyed recipes, and that warms my heart :)

I am a big believer in flooding my body with wonderful nutrients and vitamins. My day religiously begins with a drink that my husband calls "green muck." It really isn't that bad. I've started my day with it now for so long that I actually crave it, so it can't be that bad ;) Then throughout the day, I try to pack in as many vegetables as possible. Spinach is one of my favorites. In fact, a funny story...
As a child I absolutely loved the Popeye cartoon. I wanted to be like Popeye(I didn't like Olive Oyl in the least), and I believed that if I ate spinach like Popeye, I too would be strong and mighty. My mother could not give me enough spinach! I hated other vegetables, but I ate my spinach! I don't know if it was just propaganda in order to sell spinach, if so, it worked with me ;) And...I still love spinach. 

I recently had an idea for a creamed spinach soup, with spinach, parsley and mushrooms. To make it a little more robust, I served it with Forbidden Rice. Forbidden Rice is a lovely purple rice that has a wonderful taste, but can be hard to find. So, if you decide to give the recipe a try, use any rice that you have on hand. But, if by chance you come across Forbidden Rice, give it a try, it's wonderful!     


I began with 1 large onion, and sauteed it in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until it was translucent. Two cloves of chopped garlic was added and allowed to cook for about a minute to release the flavor.   


Chopped spinach, parsley, and mushrooms were added to the onion mixture. 
 

4 cups of coconut milk was added, along with 4 cups of vegetable broth. Add 1 tablespoon of dried thyme. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until mushrooms are tender. Use a handheld blender or a free standing blender to puree the soup.

In a separate pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and remaining mushrooms. Saute until golden brown.


Before serving, add sauteed mushrooms to the soup mixture.


Ladle soup into soup bowls. Add a mound of preferred rice, and drizzle black truffle oil over soup. If you don't have black truffle oil, a little olive oil will be fine.

Popeye's Spinach Soup

ingredients;
16 oz. fresh spinach chopped
24 oz. mushrooms sliced
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 bunch parsley chopped
4 cups coconut milk
4 cups vegetable broth
5 tablespoons olive oil
hot cooked rice of choice
black truffle oil

directions;
Divide mushrooms in half.
Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large soup pot. When oil is hot, add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic and saute for about a minute longer to release flavor, but not burn. Add chopped spinach, chopped parsley, and sliced mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are tender. Add 1 tablespoon of dried thyme, coconut milk, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. 
While soup simmers, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet. When oil is hot, add mushrooms and saute until golden brown. Set aside.
Using a hand held blender, or a free standing blender, puree soup. Before serving, add sauteed mushrooms to soup mixture.
To serve, ladle soup into soup bowls. Add a mound of rice to the center of the soup. Drizzle a little black truffle oil over soup and rice. If you do not have black truffle oil, a little olive oil will be fine. But, not as robust as the black truffle oil. 
Serve and enjoy!

I can still remember the song;
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man. I'm strong to the finish cause I eats me spinach. I'm Popeye the Sailor Man. Toot! Toot! (The toot, toot was his pipe ;)

I hope that you too will be strong to the finish!!!
Eat Well!
Rhonda




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

No comments:

Post a Comment